1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A ? about cells phone w/mobile web access, i.e., getting on BYC

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Apr 4, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm cell phone ignorant. I have one. It's on DH's plan, the contract ran out years ago and he prefers not to renew it, so pays month to month. I'm rarely away from home, so I don't use my phone much. It's great to have for emergencies when I have to travel though. Our phones have no web access. Again, not a big deal, I'm always home.

Now we're going on vacation. We haven't even left yet and I'm already jones'n for BYC. I don't know how I'll live without it for two weeks. I'm thinking about buying one of those pre-paid cell phones that have "mobile web access" to take along on the trip, so I can still get on BYC.

My question - is that what mobile web access means? I'll be able to get on BYC? I can get on BYC with my kindle, but only with a strong signal.

Dumb question I know, but learning about cell phones has never been a priority for me - except for knowing what to do when you drop yours in the dogs water bowl. [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Mobile web access is just like mobile (cell) phone. It's just a phone you can take anywhere instead of a house phone.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Errrr... problem with getting a paycard phone is I'm pretty sure they use minutes while your online... and they eat up minutes like nobodies buisiness. I had one when I went for 6 weeks Flight Attendant training.. and it cost me $30 a week in phone cards just to talk to my mom once a night, and only that. Using the internet, to really read anything at all you would probably use a lot more minutes.
    I'd go with the Kindle... even if its awkward since you have to magnify every new page to see it, its still better than a phone, and free to use the web... maybe you can find some good spots to use it in?
    Edited to add - But yes, that is what it means and you can use the web with a lot of phones... Im not so good with this stuff either.. in fact I havent kept service on my phone for the last 6 months because the darn things bug the poo poo out of me. I'd send you my phone for free, LOL, but it probably wouldnt get to you in time.

4. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I'm pretty ignorant about cell phones too but I can tell you what I have. It's just a cheap LG that I got at wal-mart with thier strait talk plan. I can get on BYC and read the post but for some reason I can't log in with it. Also the battery seems to go down pretty fast when I've been using it to get online. If they would sell you a decent phone the 45.00 a month unlimited plan is hard to beat.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes that's what I was thinking about going with, the straight talk; unlimited web.

Thanks for the input y'all. It's very helpful.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    gritsar...I personally use my Droid Incredible for everything from taking and uploading pics and videos to surfing the net and online banking but the phone was $300 and the monthly unlimited everything is 108.00 plus tax.

When my son was traveling around, I bought him a prepaid type...check out the plan and phones here

https://www.iwirelesshome.com/home

Phones range from 40.00 up...the Samsung Seek is equivalent to what I purchased for my son and it is 80.00 The Sanyo 2700 is only $50

60.00 monthly gets you unlimited texting and unlimited talking and 2500mb of web surfing and email. So for trips it would be good. You can also add minutes and etc. from anywhere.

Good luck making a decision. [​IMG]

7. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    I have a smart phone.. a droid 2 global.. rooted for super user capability..(SHHHHHHHHH>>> I am a closet technogeek... [​IMG] ) I couldn't live without it.

You can get on the web anytime and do anything that a computer and a navigator and a high tech digital camera, and a camcorder can do in the size of a phone.

My suggestion would be... either buy one off of craigslist and for the week that you are gone switch your line to that phone and switch back when you get home. You can always resell the phone, or if you find you suddenly can't live without it, you can keep it. It will cost 1/4 of a months worth of data plan.. at $30 a month, that is only 7 bucks. Or, if you have a friend who has one or has an old one laying around, you could temporarily use theirs on your line.

I even have an extra one laying around.. but not sure how soon you need it. Let me know...

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I have unlimited web on mine but only used it to hook my PC to the internet threw blue tooth when my home internet is down.

9. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have a Blackberry Smart phone with Verizon service and web access. It's not by choice but assigned to me for work. We are allowed however to use it for web access if we want to. I've tried it and don't like to use it. Nothing against Verizon but I like my home computer better.

10. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    My SO has a phone with web access and I HATE it. Dumb buttons are so small and I can't see the screen without enlarging everything. Then I kick myself off the web and have to start over. However, my laptop is so much easier. I have a Verizon USB web sign on device thingie. I prepay for $30/week or 50$/month for when I'm out of town. No contract required. Much cheaper than a monthly charge for something I use every 3-4 months.

My phone? It makes calls and takes poor quality pics and that's all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by