1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A BABY KEET!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kellim, Jul 19, 2008.

1. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Well, I thought my hatching was over for a few weeks, I have a duck egg due August 1 and have had Guinea eggs in the bator that were due on what I though was the same day. Well.....guess who was WRONG! Apparently momma guinea had set on the eggs for a while before she decided she had enough and left them. I thought they were just on day one because they were cool when I found them. I thought I would pop them in the bator and see what happened anyways. Well....we come home from town and my husband comes running out of the house hollering "You have a guinea hatching!" I was like there is no way. Sure enough, I come in the house and into the small bathroom (aka:incubator room) and look in and there was the cutest little thing stuck in the egg! it had somehow got turned wrong in the process of pipping and couldn't move!! It already had the top off the egg, it just couldn't fit through the hole it had made, so I pulled off a little of the shell and out it popped! It is in the bator now. I will post pics soon as it is the first Guinea I have ever hatched!!!! It is so cute but freaked out when I had to put the shelf paper in because it was trying to get under the wire in the bottom of the Hovabator. So Sweet!!!

2. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    what a neat surprise! can't wait to see it. i have 11 guinea eggs in my bator and can't wait to see them.

3. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I put some rocks around the bottom edges of my bator to hold that wire mesh down because I lost 2 babies that way last week.

It works really well.

4. kellim

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Quote:Thanks so much for that! I would never have thought about rocks! Going to get some now!!! Thank you!

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Congrats:)

6. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    Congradulations on the new little hatchling [​IMG]

7. kellim

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Thank you! I am going to post pics soon. We had to splint it's little feet, it's toes were curled and it was having trouble standing. We looked and it just didn't look like something that would get better on it's own so we went ahead and we splinted it's feet and now it's standing and walking and of course fussing about the splints!!!

8. TheKidAndDame

TheKidAndDame Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Gator Nation, FL
    Quote:Thanks so much for that! I would never have thought about rocks! Going to get some now!!! Thank you!

Your rocks can also help to keep the heat even in the bator. Just like keeping a pizza stone in the oven evens out the heat in there too.

9. kellim

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Here is my new baby!

[​IMG]

10. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Very cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by