A bad week for birds :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by froggie71, May 29, 2010.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    We went to the NE chickstock this past Sunday and had a wonderful time. We brought home 8 new babies with us. 2 bantam WCB Polish chicks, (only days old), 2 Spitzhauben chicks, 2 Sebbies goslings, and 2 muscovy ducklies. Not to mention the dozen hatching eggs. Well since we have a momma hen outside I decided we could introduce the 4 new baby chicks to momma as she has been great taking caring of the babies so far. Sure enough she readily accepted all 4 chicks. The sebbie babies were introduced to the ducks and all well. The muscovy ducklings were introduced to the "ugly" brooder where there are 6 chicks brooding (3 naked necks, 2 silkies and the exception, a Jersey Giant chick.) This introduction also went well. Tuesday all the birds were out free ranging when I found 1 of momma hen's chicks that was 1 1/2 weeks old drowned in the duck pool. I just missed it and had tried to revive it to no avail. Wednesday morning my DS found 1 of the Polish chicks had died overnight. And yesterday I realized that the other Polish chick wasn't eating, drinking, and wouldn't stop peeping. I brought it inside and gave it sugar water to perk it up and added vitamins, tried to give it a chopped up boiled egg, and even made a slurry of chick starter. I was able to get it to drink, but not to eat and it began to go down hill fast and died overnight. Now today 1 of the sebbie babies is missing. Just gone. No sign of it anywhere and no idea of how it could have just disappeared. I just feel sick. [​IMG] I can't stop crying and feel so awful that I'm beginning to think we shouldn't even have these birds.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Starting to wonder if a 2 legged predator took the baby sebbie. No way it could have gotten out of the duck house/run and no sign of any predator getting in. I worked last night so I wasn't around to hear any ruckus, but if there was I'm sure neither my DH nor my boys would have heard. Surprised my dogs wouldn't have heard anything though. We used to keep a lock on the door, but DS kept losing the key. Think it's time for another lock. [​IMG]

3. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    I'm so sorry! Hope you find your sebbie, but definitely get a lock! [​IMG]

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So sorry about all your losses...It so hard to lose them...But so many all at once must be devastating. I hope your luck changes and there are no more dissapearances or deaths.

5. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Thank you. I'm just completely heart-broken. I feel really bad for our lone sebbie too. He/she does have the ducks to hang out with, but he/she was really close with the sebbie we lost [​IMG] I've consider even taking a 3 hour drive to find our sebbie a new buddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by