A Barred Rock pullet??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luckied, Sep 26, 2016.

1. luckied

luckied Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Hi all. Just looking to confirm this is a Barred Rock pullet? Hatch date was somewhere around August 1st, so about 8 weeks old.
    Thanks for the help, she came in a group of production reds....
    I know I'm new to the chicken game but have you ever hear the song that goes "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things is not quite the same!"

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under

Im pretty sure that is a cockerel with such a huge comb at such a young age! And if you have production reds (sexlinks) The barring would make that a cockerel. Somebody correct me though if im wrong

3. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    You've got a cockerel there! The comb and wattles would be smaller and less red if it were a pullet. :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That's even very early for such red, red comb & wattles in a male. Are you sure he isn't older?

5. luckied

Sadly no I don't know. We got 5 birds together at 3 weeks, and then took 3 more that I was told were from the same group of hatched birds as the orginal 5. Obviously by size alone I would say yes this BR is definitely older, but I was not sure as I've never had one.
    The bird in question is the same size as a 13 week old wyandotte pullet I have.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Can you get better pictures?

7. luckied

I just took a couple new ones now that it's daylight.
    So from others thoughts I now believe it's a Cuckoo Marans not a BR and about 13 weeks old. Most say cockerel for sure.
    What I can say for sure is it is the same size as my 13 week old wyandotte pullet and its afraid of her. It staying close and lays with 2 of my 8 week old production red pullets.
    It's feet are creamy color with black running down them.
    Any help is appreciated I can have roos just choose not to and I have a daughter who gets attached too easily so I'd rather rehome ASAP if I can confirm a cockerel, but don't want to do that if there is still a chance of it being a pullet.
    [​IMG]

8. luckied

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by