1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A BEAR? Say what?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by clairabean, Nov 6, 2011.

1. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG]

I hear a noise in our (attached) garage and think the racoons may be back. We neglected to close the door when it grew dark. I open the door and stick my head out. Three feet from me is a HUGE BEAR laying on his belly munching on the garbage. He had tipped over the can and was going to town. After some screaming on my part, and laughing on the bear's part, he departed from my garage. I run to our back window in time to see him go THROUGH the chicken run fence and start banging on the coop window. What the....?

We have never had a bear problem. Bears in the area, sure. In our fruit trees right before we pick in fall, occasionally, but never trying to get into the coop! Never! Always racoons. We keep Fort Knox of coops and food because of those coons.

So, I fired off a few rounds and he took off. But whew, was my heart pumping!

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Dang, makes you think twice about sticking your head out at night!!! [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Funny Story, but be safe.

Imp

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I am torn between "Cool, you saw a bear!" and "Holy crap, you saw a bear!". [​IMG]

Seriously, I am glad you and your birds are ok. I hope he doesn't come back. [​IMG]

5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    That would have gotten my heart pounding!! We have bears in our area and have gotten several pics of them on our trail cam but have not had any issue with them and our chickens. That is probably because we have surrounded the entire run and coop with a five strand electric fence and I think that has discouraged them. Bears are opportunistic feeders (as you found out) and they will be back to see if the opportunity is still there. No matter how strong your coop and run are a bear can get in like it was nothing. Electric is the only solution.

6. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I think I'd make sure the children were in the house, then grab the camera! Wow! Too close!

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Quote:!!!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Electric fencing does a good job of keeping bears away

9. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    It will be back. Once they find a food source they remember, and worse they teach the cubs. Be ready.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by