A Beekeeping Disaster is a Chicken Bonanza!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Reinbeau, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Somehow three supers were left in our living room after extracting last year, where we stored stuff before it went downstairs. Well, it takes a long time for things to go downstairs around here [​IMG] I decided to clean out the room so I could put up my Christmas tree. There was a telescoping top on the top of the three supers. I pulled it off and OMG, the frames had been invaded with wax moths! Absolutely yuck! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other beeks here will recognize a complete disaster - all of the wax has been eaten, that's all black frass, these things have been having a field day. I can't believe that was in the living room - we don't use the room, but still, eeeew! Please don't judge my housekeeping, I really do have a clean house - the beekeeping stuff has gotten quite a bit out of control, that ends today! If I hadn't removed that cover I never would have found this mess, it seals things up very well.

Anyways, of course I immediately knew what the best answer was to this yucky problem - I had fifteen worm gourmets in the backyard who would be more than happy to help us clean this mess up. We put it all into a huge plastic bag and carried it out to them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the larvae, they're greyish-white, all different sizes:

[​IMG]

They went wild. Good protein boost for them!

2. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Ann thanks for sharing those great pics! Having the chooks around to eat the moths / larvae I'm sure really helped to take a bad situation and make it better!

Boy oh boy those girls look happy!

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Ah nothing like having a few cleaning assistants...the ones that do not mind the dirty jobs.

Nice looking girls.

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    yucky and yummy at the same time!

5. WGB

WGB Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2008
    That's a good idea! I'm starting bee hives now for next spring. And soon to be into chickens.
    Hope I don't get moths, but will keep this in mind!

6. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Nice!!! [​IMG]

7. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    You really couldn't have planned that any better if you had tried. Good for you.

8. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

something about lemon-aid comes to mind.....

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yes!

10. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    wow thanks for sharing that!!

My hubby wants to do beekeeping. I was thinking Id get him a few things for christmas to get him started.
    Any advice on what I should do?? and where I should look?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by