A beginners attempt at coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hens4Fun, May 22, 2010.

1. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    I think they came out ok ... so decided to share. We had no prior chicken experience. Husband is a stockbroker, me a housewife ... but we put our ideas to work. The coop is too narrow (lesson learned...go by my instincts not my husbands) but only for humans, the chickens are fine. I will focus on the Run.

[​IMG]

No formal plans ... just what I had in mind as an idea... We used Home Depot picket fencing turned upside down and buried the pointed ends in the round (approx 8" below ground) ... stapled 1/4 inch hardware wire on the inside of the fencing ... 1/2-inch PVC pipes for the sides and framing of the top .... green shade cloth secured with nylon monofilament (handsewn aLOT to keep it secure for our Santa Ana winds).... and finally the area between the shade cloth and the of the fencing is heavy duty bird netting. They get lots of sun through the sides of the fence and the bird netting. The shade cloth keeps it cool for the 90-100 degree days we get regularly in the summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. Dorte

Dorte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    I love the look of your run! Might steal some ideas.

3. Ineggsperienced

Ineggsperienced Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Midwest
    Oh, how neat! Good job!
    I have been thinking about making a small picket fence run for around the chick's house so they'll get outdoor time even when we're not at home to free range them.
    I do prefer the look of the square board tops on the fence but how well do you think the picket fence turned upside-down stuck into the ground will hold up?

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Very nice!

5. barbarachick

barbarachick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    New Port Richey Florida
    WOW this is great, and my hubbie got some great ideas from it ---which is good for me and my chickens [​IMG].....

6. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    [​IMG] Beautiful! I LOVE IT! Great job!!!

7. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I love it!!!

8. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Quote:[​IMG] frankly .... I don't imagine very long .... so we have also put in steel pole supports periodically. I think the areas that are super dry will be good for a while, but part of the run is under a big Avocado tree that gets watered regularly, so I imagine the wood will not hold up a great length of time. [​IMG] we shall have to see. I did paint a water sealer stain on the fencing to help it hold up longer, but eventually I suppose more sealant or a good quality paint may be necessary as well.

9. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Hens4fun-
    Can I ask where in OC are you from? I grew up there, my DH and DD are there visiting right now. I'd imagine that if you have enough property to have chickens you are probably in the canyon.

I love the coop, and the run! I like the picket idea!! [​IMG]

10. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Actually, Villa Park. hee hee .... and no doubt the ONLY person in VP that has chickens [​IMG] It's still zoned for farm animals from decades ago. We have 2/3 of an acre... and you're right, unusual in OC, though Villa Park is primarily half acre lots so not as odd in our little city. Best of all our neighbors love the chickens and don't mind the rooster. We're very lucky !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by