a better door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Leah S, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    So, we are going start building a new and better coop for the ladies! We are having a horrible problem with raccoons and have decided that the coop will be moved to the back of the garage. Going to cut a hole out of the back for the ladies to get in and out of their pen. Now, what would be the bast door for it? Something on hinges that bolts shut, or on e that slides over it, or something completely different? It NEEDS to be as raccoon proof as i can get it, so thanks for any ideas that you have!!

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If your hinges are strong, and bolted strongly into a GOOD THICKNESS of sound wood, and your door is of thickish strong stuff (e.g. NOT 1/4" plywood [​IMG]), and your latch is strong and coonproof, then in my opinion any kind of door can be equally predatorproof.

You have more margin for error, though, if the door is on the INSIDE of the hole, so that when it is closed, none of the door edges are accessible to prying raccoon claws.

Personally I like a vertically sliding door on the inside of the wall, serving a hole cut 12" or so above the floor so that the door always drops down a good ways below the sill of the opening when the door is closed and so that there is minimal chance of the opening getting blocked with poo or kicked-up bedding; but that's really just personal preference and if you like a different version, for instance a hinged door, I see no reason not to do it.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Okay, Pat...I have to ask. Why does the pop door need to be thicker than plywood? Because we installed a $200 automatic pop door with plywood for a door, and I think my fiance's head is going to pop off if I tell him it's not good enough...Seriously. Forget couple's counseling. Every engaged couple should have to go through building a coop/run together before they get married...

4. Horizon Structures

Horizon Structures Official BYC Sponsor

Jul 1, 2009
    Atglen, PA
    Quote:I'm not Pat, but notice she said 1/4" plywood. As in, 5/8" (or even 3/4") would be a better bet.

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Ah! (runs out with measuring tape...)

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I'm not Pat, but notice she said 1/4" plywood. As in, 5/8" (or even 3/4") would be a better bet.

Yup, it's just THIN plywood (or anything else flimsy) you have to avoid [​IMG]

Although with a known serious raccoon problem around, I don't know as I'd use anything less than 3/4" ply, myself.

Pat

7. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    I got some thick plywood for the door. It's cut bigger than the opening so it will completely cover it. I think my husband over complicated a sliding door and we are going with a hinged door. We have some hinges from a door we took down and a nice fat latch that a padlock can be used with. Hopefully it will keep the critters out! I am going to try and pry it open with a small screwdriver, and if successful than I know a raccoon can get in. Hopefully there is no way a raccoon is clever enough to get through a padlock!
    oh! the door is about a foot up off the ground, with a ramp for the girls on both sides. The original coo's door was flush with the ground and I was always cleaning up bedding that spilled out!
    It's a learning process!

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have a pop door already and are not sure about it, cover it with a tin or other hard surface metal. That way the coons cannot dig thru it. The reason we are recommending thicker wood or metal on the door is all the coon's attention and attack will be focused on one little spot, your pop door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by