A big hard block in the feed store?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicabee19, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    When I was in the feed store the other day I saw a big hard, solid square block of orangey-colored stuff.

Is this chicken food?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It depends. Was it suet?

Or was it a giant mineral block for cattle?

How big was it?

3. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I don't think it was suet - I've seen that before.

It was sitting next to a block just like it that said 'wild bird feed'. I could see all kinds of seeds in the wild feed block.

This stuff was really orangish, uniform - no obvious 'seeds' showing, and the color was a lot like pictures of 'crumbles' that I've seen. I didn't see a tag - it was just wrapped in plastic around the edges -- the sides were open.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Doesn't sound like any chicken food I've every seen. I would have just asked somebody that worked there.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Purina has a flock block, but you can see all the seeds in it. We buy an orange colored salt/mineral block for our cows.

7. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    oh... yeah, you're probably right! When I was growing up salt blocks were white. Have they changed?

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They still make the white ones....that one is just plain salt. The different colored ones just have added minerals in them. We get a yellow one and also an orange colored one.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by