1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A big HELLO from Florida...where the CHICKS are HOT all the time!!!! =D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FuzzFaceFarm, Oct 14, 2016.

1. FuzzFaceFarm

FuzzFaceFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I am not really NEW to chickens because I always took care of them on both my Grandparent's farm in New Jersey as well as on my Great Uncle's farm in Georgia all the time and my brother and I each had a pet chicken at home growing up but it has been a long time since I have had any. I was lucky enough to talk my dear husband into letting me have a backyard flock finally (a few years of convincing) because we eat a lot of eggs and we like to know where they are coming from (and I adore all critters large and small and wanted some pet chickens).
    [​IMG]

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    We have 8 chickens right now, we got them on September 8th, 2016 so they are about 6-7 weeks old now.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    We have 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 2 Buff Orphingtons, and 4 Easter Eggers!!!

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    Researching information about chickens and coop plans so we could be completely prepared for our babies.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    I am a disabled Marine Veteran who doesn't leave the house much and can't do the active sports and hobbies I used to have so part of my wanting to get these chickens was to give me a reason to at least go spend more time outside in our backyard with the chickens and our dogs.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    We have 2 American Bulldogs; Sugar Bear and Hewett and our dream is to move further out into the country so we can start homesteading.

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens!! I am glad you joined us! If you are a newbie, I can think of no better place to start then the Learning center, it has bookoodles of information on past and present threads, so check it out! https://www.backyardchickens.com/. Also, if you would like to get in touch with other fellow Flordians, you can find your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread. I have Golden laced wyandottes and Buff Orpingtons as well! I hope you have fun here and enjoy it as much as I have!

3. FuzzFaceFarm

FuzzFaceFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    Thank you so much! I have been reading BYC forums for awhile but finally sat down long enough to join and am so happy I did. I am hoping all of my chickens are hens because Tampa has a "No Rooster Ordinance" for backyard chickens. I am fairly sure that two of my Easter Eggers are Roos but not completely sure about the Golden Wyandottes or the Buff Orphingtons. I'm hoping to take some new pics of them all and find a forum to post and see what everyone thinks.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
  5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Happy you joined our community! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for your time in service to our country. Welcome to Backyard chickens. As an official member - you can participate in most of the BYC contests. Hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by