A BIG hello from South Africa!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Magda, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Magda

Magda New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Hi, I am from a small town in South Africa. Bumped onto this forum today and I'm very excited. I want to start a small business with free range chickens and need a lot of coaching. There is such a lot of info available, my head is spinning already. I think I'll get a lot of advise on this forum. Hopefully I'll have enough time to read all the posts.
    I bought some Golden Laced Wyandottes, they are about 4 weeks old now. On Monday some of them died during the night, yesterday 7 again and this morning 5 again. I don't know if its too cold or too hot at night. We keep them in a shed with a cement floor for now, before taking them to the farm. I have 250W red bulbs in there. I've put some soil in there this morning (cannot find wood shavings in our little town at the moment). Am I on the right track? I don't want any more deaths. The temperature range from 25 - 28 degrees Celcius in the shed.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

Yes, sounds like you are on the right track. Could be air temperatures are fine, (converting to Farenheit 77-82.4 degrees is good for 4 week olds) during the day, but, if they are on concrete and you get a large temperature dip at night, the chicks will tend to pile together for warmth. The bigger the pile, the less warmth at the bottom of the pile especially with no bedding under them and they become weak and perhaps actual cause of death is being suffocated/crushed by other.

Happy you found us!

3. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Hello and [​IMG]

Someone else from a nice sunny place!!

4. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    This may sound weird, but concrete is missing an ion. I'd try to find some kind of bedding to use until you get some sawdust. Sand works. [​IMG]

5. Magda

Magda New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Thanx guys for replying. I am indeed in a sunny spot! 40 Degrees C in mid summer and -5 Degrees at night in winter.
    I will definitely get some sawdust then. I think the temperature drops at night these days (going from winter into spring now) are a little bit hectic for them.

Will let you guys know how they are doing tomorrow morning.

6. Magda

Magda New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Morning all you beautiful people. I am glad to report that all my chicks are alive and well this morning!! The sand on the concrete is working like a bomb. Feels like a proud mommy this morning!! Hope you have a gorgeous day.

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    That is wonderful news! Welcome to BYC!

8. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC from The Pampered Pullets Farm in Ocala, FL
    [​IMG]

9. vogelzang

vogelzang Out Of The Brooder