A BIG hello to everybody!! Im JNicoleS and am to the forum as well as new to being a Mama Hen.

Pecking and feather plucking between males

• Keep one male. Eliminate the current top because of plucking. Keep rooster #2 (bald rear n all)

• Is this aggressive way of establishing dominance best elliminated from future flock breeding?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JNicoleS

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2018
My 8 1/2 week old flock of 19 appears to have 2 males that were included. The males are Cochins and I suppose as part of establishing pecking order and dominance, the lead male plucked out a 3 inch diameter patch of every tail feather of his rival male. No bleeding just complete baldness. I have medicated and it is growing back. Today I heard my official cockle doodle dpi from head fella. I would like to keep a male to maintain order, protection and fertilization but am close enough to city it could become an issue. I plan to use the "no crow" technique. My question is that a friend with much more experience insisted the male responsible for the plucking needs a new home or culling... he is willing to take him as his flock is 6x larger . He says you don't want that type of aggression passed on genetically . Should I send my head pecker on his way? Id like to know your opinions from experience . Thank you so very much!!

BYC Welcome 4.jpg

Hi, I've only ever had two rooster (and them just a short while) but hopefully, someone with more roo experience can answer your question.

It's nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom