A Big Texas "Howdy"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SpaceChicky, Jan 21, 2014.

1. SpaceChicky

SpaceChicky In the Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Brazos Valley
    Right before September, I moved onto my parents' land with my husband and four boys. Little did I know that my destiny involved caring for poultry, but with the move, came such responsibilities. My father had several variety of hen and rooster, from chicken to quail and guinea. What he did not have, was ample time for the work involved in caring for the fowl, and that's where my boys and I came into play.

It didn't take too long for me to warm up to the idea and to see how interesting 'the chicken life' could be. I've since gone a little chicken-crazy, as it seems many who dive into the chicken's microcosms, tend to do. It's hard not to enjoy their company, daily, while feeding, watering and cleaning up after them. But why am I telling you this? You already know how fabulous chicken farming is.

We have both caged and free-range birds. We have aruacanas, marans, ameraucanas, reds, sultans, polish varieties, a silkie, as well as d'Uccles, d'Anvers, many quail and 4 guinea. We feed them a mix of greens from our organic garden, as well as hen scratch, pullet crumbles, and crushed milo and corn.

We incubate our eggs and we cull our extra roosters. We also have 5 rabbits, 3 does and 2 bucks, and two of our does just gave birth to their first kits. One lost her entire litter, yesterday, due to inexperience...she did not keep them warm enough over night.

As mentioned above, I am the mother of four growing young men, ranging in age from 11 to almost 17. Needless to say, our house stinks and I'm in a constant state of near-insanity, as my husband works 7 on/7off, and is out of pocket for a little over half a year, every year...which brought me to land here, on the farm. At least with my parents nearby, my boys will be held more accountable than when I was going it alone.

I have already learned from this site and look forward to learning more, as well as getting to know other Crazy Chicken People.

Until then, this is the SpaceChicky signing OUT!
    [​IMG]

2. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Crowing

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    [​IMG] Greetings!! Glad you could join us.

Yep! Chickens are Fantastic! We all love them!

3. SpaceChicky

Jan 21, 2014
    Brazos Valley

My avatar is Mamas...she's a Bearded d'Anver quail and insists on being held. She's been gently breaking me in as far as actual chicken handling is concerned.

4. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Great intro! :)

5. SpaceChicky

Jan 21, 2014
    Brazos Valley
    Thank you :)

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have your hands full and then some with the move to the farm, have fun with the chickens.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your many poultry projects.

9. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Songster

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Welcome to BYC from Ohio!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by