A Big Thank You From Mississippi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gingerlilypad, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Gingerlilypad

Gingerlilypad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I have gotten a lot of information from this site, for which I am thankful. I am handicapped (generally in a wheelchair or use a scooter), and love my chickens. I felt keeping more than one or two chickens would be too difficult. Some of the suggestions here have been such that I am again able to enjoy my babies.
    So thank you.

New to this forum, but not new to chickens or other critters. I have had chickens off and on most of my life. Mainly Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rock, as many as 100 at a time. I even had a pet Barred Rock hen named Henrietta who rode around on my shoulder. I told people she was really a parrot in disguise. She even learned to cluck when I said "Arrrgg!"

Right now I have a free ranging mixed Bantam rooster, a free ranging Bantam hen with 8 little biddies about 3 days old, two adult free ranging Guineas. In a covered pen I have 10 Black Australorps about 3 weeks old, and four Guinea keets that are about 5 weeks old. I plan to turn the keets out when they are old enough. This is in addition to my two dogs and one cat. The Guineas rule the yard and are better watch dogs than the dogs. I live on 8 acres so am not real worried about the noise my babies make. All of them will now come when I call and the rooster sits on the arm of my chair and "talks" to me, as long as I don't try to hold him, he is happy.

Again thanks to all who contribute.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Oh, you sound like the perfect critter mom! Welcome from eastern North Carolina![​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from FL

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Welcome! Sounds like you have an awesome set up! Look forward to learning from chicken veterans like you!

7. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    welcome to BYC [​IMG]

8. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State! [​IMG]

9. broodytood

broodytood Chillin' With My Peeps