a billion to one shot...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by onthespot, Apr 23, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    My dog had puppies Saturday night and one of them she pulled too hard on the unbilical cord and I saw it start to tear right at the insertion site, OH NO! So I pulled the puppy away but it was too late. She squirmed a little in my hand and I saw a small loop of intestine push out. VERY BAD!!! I held her up at a forty five degree angle on her back and tried to get her breathing and clear her airway without increasing her intra abdominal pressure but by the time she was breathing, well about three inches of bowel were out, but had not touched anything that was contaminated, so I went into the kitchen and opened a sterile 3 cc syringe and pulled the needle off and used the blunt end of they syringe to gently coax the bowel loops back inside without bruising or perforating them. Now what to do... I sprayed bleach on my fingertip and waved it around to dry and held my finger over the belly button and with my other hand I cut about a two inch by two inch piece of saran wrap and put a few drops of crazy glue in a straight line across the middle and then put it over the bad spot, folded the two sides over the middle to make it triple thick and glued them down with crazy glue too. Well, I can now report that the saran wrap has come loose in the middle and the belly button is healed closed just like the litter mates. WHEW! I don't think a vet could have saved her. It would have taken too long to get her to the emergency vet at 3:30 am and probably would have bankrupted me anyhow. Let's hear it for Yankee ingenuity and "going for it" even when the odds look a billion to one.

2. [​IMG] Special puppy! Where's the pic?!

What breed?

3. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    [​IMG] That's amazing!! Great work!

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    great job! Nice thinking. [​IMG]

5. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Wow! I hail you![​IMG] I don't know if I would have been able to keep myself together enough to do that! I would have been flipping out! Great job![​IMG]

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    They are parti colored poodle puppies, miniatures. I didn't take pics, because I didn't think it would work. If I knew it was going to work I would have woke my sister up to take pics. What with holding the puppy, keeping everything sterile and fixing it with just two hands, I couldn't have taken pics if I wanted to... All I can show now is two halves of thrashed saran wrap crazy glued to her belly! LOL

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Good for not giving up! [​IMG]

8. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Well done! Did you know that superglue was created for field wounds in Vietnam? Does this make you a battlefield surgeon?

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    no, I didn't know that! I feel a lot better now! I was afraid the glue would go inside the hole and make a plug and keep it from healing, but it didn't!

10. Well I didn't mean pics of the procedure, I meant pics of the miracle puppy of course!
    lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by