A bird in the hand?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oesdog, Apr 3, 2011.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    ok - you know the old saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Well I got a wild bird right now and have held it a few times once we caught it with the net.

It is a big rook. We have massive trees out back and they nest in the top only this fellow seems to have fallen and his wing looks to be broken. He has been following us round the yard all day. I have given him infant vitamins in a bowl of water which he drank fine and hes had chicken feed and scrambled egg and wet bread. Short on that I am not sure what I can do for the fellow as all other wild birds I have tried to help died. We did catch him but he escaped twice so he is now in the garden again. He was running about with the chickens and then one turned on him so he is up in the veg patch.

Any ideas ??? A few of his mates keep comming to see him then they fly off but he is kind of stuck. I am hoping the wing might fix itself in a few days. Maybe he will just stay in the garden and be a flightless friend -? Will have to feed him every day and try to put him in at night though I think a cat will get him. Its hard to know what to do for the best really. He seems to be enjoying himself at the moment cause he is getting lots of treat and fuss. He is a lovely friendly fellow but I am sure he is a bit shocked though.

Oesdog [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Do you have any wildlife rehabilitators in your near you? I am not sure the policies about housing wild birds, here we have many laws forbidding us to own migratory birds.

If something can be done for the wing they will do it, best to do it before the injury heals wrong...if it is determinedthat there is nothing they can do for the break they may either euthanize (depending on regulations) or place it in a penned in sanctuary to live out its life safely- or if regulations permit they may say you can keep it.

3. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:I don;t think they bother with such laws regarding rooks here ( UK Ireland)- they shoot them on the farm!!!!! The nearest shelter is miles away and last time I took them a crow they fed it to their snake!!!

I am not about to take it to the vet as it costs a fortune and no point. So I am just going to feed it and let it potter about the garden nature will take its course eventually. It will either heal and be ok or it will die( If it is still alive and ok in a couple of days I will try to lolly stick the wing in place. I don;t want to stress him more right now. I have fed him today and he seems happy - all his mates keep comming to see him which is good as they perch on the fence and encourage.

I will just put him in at night and hope he is ok.

Oesdog - thanks for the mail I don;t think I can do much more than this right now.

4. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    Thats too bad- We have a gazillion crows around here too....I found one a while back and the rehabilitators here did Xrays and everything for it- found out it had a crushed pelvis, broken wing, and was shot six times with bb's (one has lodged in the poor things eye) but amazingly what was killing it was STARVATION as it couldnt get around to find food. They euthanized it- but at least it was warm and well fed when it died.

I am sorry you don't have any good rehabilitators near you....

you may end up having a life companion lol.

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sounds to me like you have a new bird! And a happy one at that!

6. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    He got better and flew off!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Oesdog

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Wonderful!!! A VERY happy ending!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by