A bird tore out my chick's lung!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blackeast3, Mar 30, 2012.

1. blackeast3

blackeast3 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    A medium size bird got into the fenced cage and tore out one of the chick's lungs. We brought the chick in and fed it a little tylenol. It's lying on its side right now. There wasn't much bleeding and other than laying down he seems fine. He is chirping a little.. what can we do?

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    There is nothing you can do without a vet, if you want your bird to live I suggest you call one ASAP.

3. blackeast3

blackeast3 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    There aren't any vets in more than an hour drive

4. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I'm sorry to say this but your bird is just going to suffer, I would just put her out of her misery if I where you [​IMG]

5. blackeast3

blackeast3 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Yea. I was thinking of that.. what would be the best way?

6. chicklover16

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    The quickest and most painless way for the hen is the chop off it's head. it won't be difficult if she is already just laying there, one blow and it's all over, she won't feel a thing.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree with euthanizing the chick. For future reference, never give a bird Tylenol, only baby aspirin. Of course, in this case, it's a moot point.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  8. blackeast3

blackeast3 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Yea, I meant aspirin. My bird is still hanging on but she just doesn't stand up and seems to have frail legs. could it be a spinal cord injury? She can still move her claws.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by