A bit of a broody problem

_ADM_

Chirping
Jan 14, 2022
So one of my Salmon favorole crosss, loves to be broody. She is broody a lot. But the problem is when she has eggs under her (usually about 8-12, she is quite large so they all fit fine), she will eat about 6 of them and its always at about day 11-14 she will eat them. This has happened twice. The first time she did I thought it was just cos they were rotten or infertile (my other hens when they are broody will eat the N/A eggs) so I assumed that what she was doing as it was her first time. She ate 7 eggs that time and left 1. But this time she had 12 and she ate 7 of them, the thing is I did a check the day before (I always candle all eggs on day 12) and they all were fertile and healthy. But I dont think she is lacking any nutrients, which was my second thought but I have seen her get out eat, drink and act healthy. Her food is high in nutrients.

So my question is, if any of you guys know, why she is doing it? And how to stop it.

Otherwise she might just be a bad broody and be cannibalistic.

I agree...doesn't sound like she's really broody, she's just waiting for breakfast 🤣
I have a chicken that does the same thing if given the chance, she destroys any eggs in the nest that aren't the color of hers 🙄
Yeah😅, she seems to like to wait until they are a bit bigger😬.
Thats a real bummer about your hen, but I guess some just dont like to be mothers🙄

Some hens just aren’t fit for motherhood. Have you looked into broody cages yet? I’d suggest making one for her. What are you feeding them? Do they always have access to a source of calcium?

I’d start breaking her when she gets broody.

Some hens just aren’t fit for motherhood. Have you looked into broody cages yet? I’d suggest making one for her. What are you feeding them? Do they always have access to a source of calcium?

I’d start breaking her when she gets broody.
Well I dont mind her being broody for the first 5 days, cos she wont touch the eggs, then I move them to one of my other broodies. I can lock her out of her pen, she won keep trying, I ha e done it with her before I got a rooster

Back
Top Bottom