A bit overwhelmed-looking for a coop to buy

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mel281, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Mel281

Mel281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Minneapolis-ish, MN
    Hi all,
    My husband and I are looking to get 4 chickens this spring. Although he is quite capable, he doesn't really have time to build a coop and we have way too much snow right now to do any outside projects anyway.

I'm looking to buy a coop and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all there is to consider. I'm finding that I don't want it too small, I am concerned about having enough ventilation for our hot Minnesota summers and also enough warmth for our very cold winters. I also am not sure how to pick something that will be easy to clean, and what materials are safe for the birds and thus their eggs which my family will eat? Is it important to have cedar, ie non toxic?

Lastly, is it possible to buy one that meets all of these requirements for under $1000?

Can anyone suggest some places to buy?

2. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    Tractor Supply Store isn't so bad. They should have some coops at their store. Check it out. good luck....

3. Summerford

Summerford Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2014
    Smithville Ms
    There is a site I saw on here other day. Something like Texas coop builders. Had some real nice ones and some good prices.

4. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't have to buy a pre-made coop. You can often buy a small garden shed for a much, much cheaper price than a pre-built coop, and easily and cheaply turn it into a wonderful coop.

If you are not within city limits and restricted on the number of chickens you have, I would buy something big enough to house 10 or so hens. Most of us agree that "chicken math" sets in at some point, and our flocks grow...

In 2012, I was shopping locally for a pre-built coop that could house 12-20 hens. The cost of that size coop was $2500 and up, and they were NOT spacious - they really only had space to roost and lay eggs, no floor space for being confined if the weather was horrible.

Instead, we bought an 8x10 garden shed and converted it for well under $2000. I have floor space for confinement, TONS of roost space, nest boxes, easily cleanable, etc.... And I can WALK IN AND STAND UP in the coop!

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    The pre-made store bought coops are pretty horrible in my opinion. I had one for a few days before I tore the pos down and took it back. Just buy a shed. They make awesome chicken coops. You can cut out, and add windows and vents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by