A bit slow? Or just a Silkie?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sebTucson, Feb 4, 2015.

1. sebTucson

sebTucson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    I've heard several people say that Silkies are not the friendliest or smartest of all the chicken breeds, but I love their look so I bought two chicks last fall. One, a black non-bearded is just the sweetest, most docile bird. She lays well and isn't characteristically broody. The other....well...is kind of a weirdo. She was 3 days old when I brought her home and she was raised with daily handling and lost of interaction. Despite this, you'd thinks she was feral. She runs away from everyone and everything. She is also very antisocial. She is the very bottom of the pecking order and mostly spends her time away from the other birds. She also seems, well....slow. She often gets 'stuck' behind fences, walls, obstacles like trees and bushes...even things she should be able to get around easily like chairs in the yard. Shes never been able to figure out how to get in or out of the run (despite the large door), even when all the other birds go out before her, without being herded out. The other bit of info is that I'm not sure she is a she and not a he. It seem very hard to tell with Silkies and I'm far from a pro. Ive never seen her lay an egg, or even try to get in a nest box, and I think she made a very weak attempt at a crow...just once. I do have an 8 year old bantam rooster, as well.

Any insight? Is this normal (im kind of a newbie)? Or do I just have a weirdo chicken (which would fit in with my weirdo dog and horse menagerie)?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Silkies, in general, are friendly little puff balls. They don't all like to be held or messed with, but they'll follow me around like puppies. As for them being slow, yeah, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. I guess its a good thing they're cute! How big is your weirdos crest? If its large, she may not be able to see well. Or, if she's bearded, hee muffs could be the problem. Also, I've noticed my birds at the bottom of the pecking order are less social and a lot more jumpy than those near the top. Probably because they get pushed around by everyone else above them.

3. sebTucson

sebTucson Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    She has a pretty unfortunate hair-do. She never got much in the way of 'fluff' like the black one did. Shes mottled black and white, and if she were a human I'd suggest volumizing shampoo. She just looks stringy. Shes also quite a bit smaller- and quite a bit more upright than a normal chicken. Shes healthy though. Huge appetite, good weight. I think she's just doomed to be the doofy bird. I hadn't thought about the bottom of the pecking order affecting her behavior. Maybe that's it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by