a black bear got 2 of my 9 wk olds yesterday!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mom2Cool, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I'm still running between anger & then upset here. It was within a matter of maybe 1/2 hr. to 40 minutes of me coming in with my 2 golden retrievers! I'd sat down at the computer & I had the hard doors closed with the air on & I never even herd it! It was when I went to the kitchen to feed dogs that I caught a blimpse of this bear just at the bottom of my stairs off the deck & I started yelling at her & could see she had 2 cubs with her. When the dogs started going nuts barking she did a retreat (she'd ignored my yelling) & she gave them a backward growl......Thank God for the dogs I had her behind hard glass doors ! Even then she hadn't completely left here & I was running around the house looking for stuff to throw at her out the windows. Looking out the window I could see the cubs up the tree eating something.... I still didn't know she'd even gotten to my chicks & had hoped she'd gone after their feed first. Then hubby's car must have pulled in aqnd scared them away & he found the feathers & remains of the 2 she got The poor things must have really been on the runn & you could see when she'd chased down my barred rock! I'm still so upset & the 2 left are just completely truamatized. 90 degrees or not today the hard door has stayed open so that the dogs won't miss smelling & hearing such a thing in the yard.

Anyway has anyone had experiense with bears & did you find a way to deter them? I'm thinking of one of those electrical units thatgo around the yard perhaps on the outside of the fense but I don't know how well they work.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Talk to Panner. He has bear troubles often where he lives.

Sorry you lost your chicks. [​IMG]

3. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Thank you Miss Prissy and who's Panner? Should I just look around for his handle here or does he hang out on a special board some where?

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I seen a black bear about 1/2 mile from where we live and it freaked me out! they ahve not been her yet trying to get my chickens but I have a BIG boxer who I'm sure will chase them away if need be. So sorry to hear he got two of your chickens! [​IMG] Those poor babies!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    To find panner just do a search and then when you find him PM him/her

6. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:Who's Panner??!! Everyone's waiting with baited breath to find out exactly how he caught his 2 legged predator. If you have a bear problem he's the resident expert. Almost makes me wish I had bears. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  7. Salve&Fluffer

Salve&Fluffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    I'm so sorry that you lost your chicks![​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    HOW TO USE THE BYC SEARCH FUNCTION

1. Raise your eyes up to the blue bar at top of this page. In white letters it says "Index User List Rules Search" etc.

2. Right click on "Search", select "open in a new tab"

3. Under "author" type in "panner123"

4. Get this results page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/search.php?search_id=937236320

. Go back and revise to include word "bear". Get these results: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/search.php?search_id=1366910448

. Skim titles for the thread that probably is related to what you want.

9. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    ok now my computer must be doing weird stuff here because when I click on the link you just gave me is said my search yelled 0 results. I did find panner & I did PM him though I cam going to try to find this thread you're speaking of. And I thank you for trying to help me really. It's been pretty upsetting here yesterday & today.

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    So sorry you lost your chicks. Sounds like mama was teaching the cubs how to hunt small prey. So sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by