1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A black/blue Silkie Roo with a white, non-bearded Silkie hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CALI CHICK, Oct 13, 2011.

1. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    We recently had to re-home, "Storm", our black/blue (?) Silkie Rooster. He was a real sweetheart, but we couldn't keep crowing roosters in our neighborhood. [​IMG] The lady who bought him, has him with "Snowball", her white, non-bearded white Silkie hen. They make quite a glamorous couple, I think!

My question is: If they breed, what are the possible (or likely) chicks going to look like??? Is either the bearded or non-bearded gene dominant?? What about the colors? Am I correct in thinking that they could not get show quality chicks together because of their many differences? Any comments would be wonderful. Or, if anyone has pictures of a similar breeding experiment-that would be cool.

Here is the lovely couple: Storm with his little Snowball
    [​IMG]

2. CALI CHICK

CALI CHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Rio Linda, CA
    Have I commited the "Unspoken-Unpardineable-Silkie-Sin" by selling my Black, Silkie Rooster to someone with a White, non-bearded Silkie hen?[​IMG]

3. jd08

jd08 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    My blue roo and white hen have produced only blue and black chicks some look like they may have a few white feathers! I think that the beard is dominant over the non beard

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Once in awhile a post will be answered within minutes. Usually that doesn't happen. If you don;t get an answer in a day, then ask again, but otherwise let people have time.

Also, the question of white crossed with some other colour is asked SO VERY OFTEN that most of us get tired of answering it when a short search will give you dozens of posts with the answer.

Colourwise, the answer is that it is impossible to tell. White is an OFF SWITCH that prevents display of the colour and pattern genes that are genetically present in the bird. Remove that switch by breeding to a non-white and it could be just about anything colour or pattern wise. So, in reality your question is, "if they breed my blue rooster to their hen, but I don't know what colour it it, what are the possibilities for the offspring." There is no answer.

As for the beard, the muff/beard gene is incompletely dominant, meaning that the partially offspring will likely have smaller beards than the bearded parent, but not as bare as the non-bearded one. Unless the non-bearded parent is really partially bearded, which is often the case. Doesn't look to be in htis particular case, though.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Take your blue rooster to an unrelated white hen and you could have a very different outcome. Just sayin'

6. chickenmadnessainmind

chickenmadnessainmind Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Sonoran I was just looking true some silkie genetic's topic's and came across one of your older posts.. I Think this may relate to the question! Hope you don't mind Sonoran [​IMG]

This is the link to the topic.. Fantastic Thread (easily understood by my standards at least) [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=155273&p=3

It show's that if you actually have a good luck , you will find what you want! [​IMG]
    I am glued to the screen reading it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by