A Blessing story from the leukemia front

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I've had so many blessings since I've been diagnosed with leukemia in June, and should have been sharing each of them. This one just struck me to post, I think someone needs to hear it.

My husband and I are Christians and had been convicted to not only tithe but give additional offerings and support Christian organizations. Before I got sick, our finances were pretty darn good (thank you Dave Ramsey and Financial Peace University!!). When I got sick, the savings flat vanished and my short term disability is around 35% of what we were making before. Kind of an adjustment, let me tell you! Anyway, my husband didn't feel we could tithe anymore and quit.

We didn't really discuss it, I was pretty sure he wasn't tithing, but there always seemed to be more important things to deal with. I felt we should be tithing, but just didn't feel up to discussing it.

Last week he brought it up, said he was feeling convicted to give again. maybe not a full tithe, he was still feeling pretty financially insecure, but he gave $100 that Sunday. He said it was very hard to give up that money, and a big step of faith, but he felt okay about it.

Okay, fast forward to Friday. I'm in the hospital 250 miles away and our power's doing funky things at home. Since we live in a old mobile home, electrical is kinda on my mind a lot, and I'm freaking out. He gets a neighbor to come over to "help" (translate--call 911 if my honey gets electrocuted) and manages to get it fixed. As the neighbor's leaving, he tells Don they want to help us for the holidays and gives him--you guessed it--$100. The exact same amount my husband stepped out in faith and gave.

Honey called me and we both cried over that a while. All through this being sick, I've had to keep reminding myself God is taking care of me. I'm a control freak to some degree and want to take care of myself, but every time I try it doesn't work. Then, God steps in and makes it all work like there wasn't a problem in the first place.

So, anyone who has been needing a story of encouragement, or inspiration, or you've been wrestling with a similar issue, I hope this helps you.

hugs.gif
From another 'control freak', sometimes it's hard for us to "Let go, and let God", but it is the only thing that works. Thanks for sharing this.

oh donrae, i read your signature to give blood and it never crossed my mind that you may be sick. i am so jealous of your knowledge , i wish i had just a small part of it! my grandson has cancer, wilms tumor. they took his kidney and did the radiation and chemotherapy and was told he had a great chance of leukemia when older.they too were in the same shape as you except they lost their home and was living on the streets.(they are far from me) and would not come. but she never stopped the church and as she was sitting there and they asked to give she did, her last two dollars. as they were walking out the door a member did stop to introduce himself and guess? he was a real estate person.he has found them a home and another person did file her taxes which i guess she had not done in a couple of years and they will recieve , are you ready?ten thousand dollars! i dont belive it myself. my daughter does tell me, what you give, you will recieve seven fold. you have gave me a gift today, the gift of humility . thank you

Hello Donrae !!!! :frow

What a wonderful story! :hugs.

I have been LIVING with chronic myeloid leukemia since March of 2007. Too many miracles and blessings to list right now that add up to my still being here. the biggest honest to goodness miracle being how my diagnosis even came about and the series of miracles surrounding it (including an opportunity to witness to a nurse while I was in isolation :D )

BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO DONATE BLOOD!!! Last year I was given the opportunity to show my gratitude. I happened upon a local blood drive. I walked up to sweet little lady as she was standing at the check in table, laid my hand on her shoulder and said "thank you". She cocked her head in a question so I went on " I have leukemia and if it weren't for people like you, I wouldn't be standing here today. God bless you". I got the best hug!!! Oh and a smile and a nod from the nurse behind the table ;)

Last edited:
oh donrae, i read your signature to give blood and it never crossed my mind that you may be sick. i am so jealous of your knowledge , i wish i had just a small part of it! my grandson has cancer, wilms tumor. they took his kidney and did the radiation and chemotherapy and was told he had a great chance of leukemia when older.they too were in the same shape as you except they lost their home and was living on the streets.(they are far from me)  and would not come. but she never stopped the church and as she was sitting there and they asked to give she did, her last two dollars. as they were walking out the door a member did stop to introduce himself and guess? he was a real estate person.he has found them a home and another person did file her taxes which i guess she had not done in a couple of years and they will recieve , are you ready?ten thousand dollars! i dont belive it myself. my daughter does tell me, what you give, you will recieve seven fold. you have gave me a gift today, the gift of humility . thank you

Please tell him if you have the chance that they have, and continue to make, amazing strides in the treatment of all forms of leukemia and this comes from someone who really knows! In fact, should it come to pass for him, by then they could very well have a cure!

Oh, and your daughter is so very correct. Just in mercy alone I have reaped at least that and probably more like one hundred fold!

Prayers for you and your family.

OOPS!! And never rule out the power of our GOD :D

Last edited:
thank you chickisoup, my grandson is but 7 now. he went through this a couple yrs ago. he even did the make a wish thing! i am glad things are working out for you. i never realized how many...... god bless

Back
Top Bottom