A Blue Polish Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by becky3086, Oct 7, 2009.

1. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    These last couple weeks I have been hatching out eggs from my blue Polish roo over splash hen. I have gotten a couple splash and the rest are blue. However the first two blues were a nice dark blue and the last two have been extremely light blue and when they dry are almost white looking. Will these light blue ones feather out light blue? And why do I get these different shades of blue from the same pair? Just wondering.

Light blue chick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dark blue by the food dish.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Sounds like splash

3. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    It isn't splash. It is a light blue all over the back and head(except the white top, of course). Not splash where it is white with darker feathers mixed in. I uploaded some pictures.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Shouldn't splash over blue give you all blues?

Ooops- nevermind I had it backwards [​IMG]

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Quote:Blue x Blue will yield 50% Blue, 25% Black, and 25% Splash chicks

Blue x Black will yield 50% Blue and 50% Black chicks

Black x Splash will yield 100% Blue chicks

Blue x Splash will yield 50% Blue and 50% Splash chicks

Splash x Splash will yield 100% Splash chicks

6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    If they are coming out nearly white, they will more than likely be splash. You will not necessarily see the dark feathers at this point, but they will come in. Even splash can have a faint blue background.

7. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I think splash are beautiful, plus you need some to breed to black if you want all blue.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Splash rarely if ever have splashed down. It can actually take several molts for all the splashing to come in, althouth it will sometimes show with first feathers. The background colour for splash should be blue, not white. How light that blue should be is a matter of individual preference.

Intensity/depth of blue varies dramatically from bird to bird--even from the same parents.

9. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have plenty of splash. These do not look like what my splash chicks look like but I supposed they could still be. I guess, I will just have to wait and see. Thanks all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by