A Blue Polish Question

becky3086

Crested Crazy
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Thomson, GA
These last couple weeks I have been hatching out eggs from my blue Polish roo over splash hen. I have gotten a couple splash and the rest are blue. However the first two blues were a nice dark blue and the last two have been extremely light blue and when they dry are almost white looking. Will these light blue ones feather out light blue? And why do I get these different shades of blue from the same pair? Just wondering.

Light blue chick
17106_polish_chick_light_blue.jpg

17106_polish_chick_light_blue_2.jpg

Dark blue by the food dish.
17106_new_baby_chicks1.jpg

Last edited:
It isn't splash. It is a light blue all over the back and head(except the white top, of course). Not splash where it is white with darker feathers mixed in. I uploaded some pictures.

Last edited:
Quote:
Blue x Blue will yield 50% Blue, 25% Black, and 25% Splash chicks

Blue x Black will yield 50% Blue and 50% Black chicks

Black x Splash will yield 100% Blue chicks

Blue x Splash will yield 50% Blue and 50% Splash chicks

Splash x Splash will yield 100% Splash chicks

If they are coming out nearly white, they will more than likely be splash. You will not necessarily see the dark feathers at this point, but they will come in. Even splash can have a faint blue background.

Splash rarely if ever have splashed down. It can actually take several molts for all the splashing to come in, althouth it will sometimes show with first feathers. The background colour for splash should be blue, not white. How light that blue should be is a matter of individual preference.

Intensity/depth of blue varies dramatically from bird to bird--even from the same parents.

I have plenty of splash. These do not look like what my splash chicks look like but I supposed they could still be. I guess, I will just have to wait and see. Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom