1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Bobcat hurt my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laverne34, Nov 30, 2009.

1. laverne34

laverne34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I need some advice....a bobcat reached it's paw through my fence and hurt one of my hens neck, it's very bruised and she also has a claw mark on her leg. I took her to the avian vet and they stapled her leg and now she's not eating much at all. The bobcat ripped off the outer layer of chicken wire I have wrapped around the pen and then it was able to stick it's paw through the larger wire. I've secured the pen but now I'm afraid I'm going to lose this hen. She's been drinking water and I'm also giving her some pedialyte. She only drinks if I hold it up for her. She doesn't have much interest in eating although I did get some babyfood and she just ate only 5 bites of creamed corn with rice. I'd appreciate any advice. The vet is telling me that they don't know if her crop has been damaged. When will I see improvement if any?? This happened 6 days ago. I'm keeping her in a dog crate inside the house while I'm nursing her back to health.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ouch! poor thing! Did you see the bob cat?

3. laverne34

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I've seen the bobcat around, but I didn't see it happen.

4. jqs birds

jqs birds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    The bobcat will keep trying until you get rid of him. They are persistent. Fortunately they are easy to trap too.

5. laverne34

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    They're all over the place out here and this is the first time I've had a problem. We've really reinforced the pen so I'm hopeful this will keep it's paws out. I'm just hoping I can nurse her back...she's my best layer.

6. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not eating could be a sign of pain. Are you giving her any kind of pain reliever? You might want to try it, and if her appetite increases, that could be the problem. Besides not eating, how does she behave, what's her activity level?

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Put vitamins in her water, and feed her scrambled eggs or warm canned dog food. You might have to keep putting pieces in her mouth until she swallows. Keeping her hydrated and eating is key. Also for pain use baby aspirin. Search on here for the exact amount .

8. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    electric fence time....hope she heals.

9. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Check her for fever - cat's claws (and bobcats are no different) harbor incredible amounts of bacteria. I had a dog tangle with a bobcat. He developed a huge abcess where he was clawed and "cat scratch fever." We nearly lost him. That's also the only time I ever saw a vet get sick at the sight of a wound - it was pretty horrible - and smelly!

10. laverne34

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for all the advice....I've been giving her antibiotic injections twice daily for possible infection....and she's drinking pedialyte. She's really doing good with drinking. As for the eating...I tried scrambled eggs and couldn't get her to eat a bite....I did get some baby food and she seems to like that. I will get some canned dog food too. I'll make a trip to the store for some baby aspirin....She's supposed to go see the vet again tomorrow...they told me there's no way to tell if her crop has been damaged. Does anyone out there have any experience with this??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by