a ? bout barred rock rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by m00nd0g, Dec 15, 2011.

1. m00nd0g

m00nd0g New Egg

Dec 12, 2011
    hypothetical.

i have a barred rock rooster that fertilizes a buff rock hens egg.

egg hatches... its a half buff rock/ half barred rock chick. it turns out to be a male chick.

once it gets older, it makes sweet, pasionate love to a barred rock hen.... does it still put off a sex link chick? or does it being half barred cancel the sex link out?

2. BBrock

BBrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    No second generation sex-links will be sex-links. Except in a few auto sexing True breeds

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Ok lets if I have this right,

By "sex-link" are you referring to the head spot? If so you should be able to tell Male from Female.

Chris

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You can breed a Red Sex-link Rooster to a Barred Hen and still get Sex-link chicks. [​IMG]

Chris

5. BBrock

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    Not in his/her case! and a barred hen isnt sex-linked!

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Technically the Barring Gene is sex-link/auto-sex gene and is the gene that is is used to make a Black Sex-link. [most any color male over a barred female]

Poultry Sciences
    kippen jungle
    tadkerson

Chris

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  7. BBrock

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    The number 1 rule is that two sex linked chickens can not be crossed to produce sex linked offspring.
    and hen sex-links will not be barred so no you can never breed two sex-links and get sexlinks! you can breed red sexlink to a non sexlink barred hen. but thats not two sexlinks
    And he/she will not Have barred hens so in his/her case she will not have second generation sexlinks.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    The number 1 rule is that two sex linked chickens can not be crossed to produce sex linked offspring. and hen sex-links will not be barred so no you can never breed two sex-links and get sexlinks!

If you are referring to Red or Black Sex-link, I know but this has nothing to do with what the OP asked nor what I posted.

you can breed red sexlink to a non sexlink barred hen.

Barring is a Sex-linked/auto-sex gene. Refer back to my last post for links.

The OP is breeding a Barred Rock Rooster to a Buff Rock Hen so all offspring would be Barred,
    If the OP took a Barred Rooster from there first cross and bred it to a Barred Hen then the offspring should be all head spot sex-able as with most all Sex-linked barred chickens.

Chris​

9. BBrock

Jul 5, 2011
    cairo ga.
    So barred and barred makes sexlink?

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:They can sexed by there head spot at birth.
    By crossing Barred Rock / Barred Rock or Dominique / Dominique there chicks are sex-able a birth by there head spot.
    They can be considered a Sex-linked and or a Auto-sex.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by