A Bout of Very High Crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Jan 13, 2015.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Very early this morning an counted out the seconds between crows produced by one rooster. He was crowing at observed rate for some time prior but I began my effort at about 0300. During the 15 minutes of monitoring he belted out a crow every 10 to 15 seconds making for about 5 crows per minute. I could not hear responses of roosters in yard but likely they were doing at least some crowing. Breeding season is about to commence so roosters also trying to attract hens.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thought you were going to tell a story about a new soprano.

But it's a high repetitive rate of crowing, not a high tonal register of crowing.
    lol
    Sorry.

Means he ready to mate......or could he have been alarming at an intruder?

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I think it is very much a seasonal thing. Roosters from now through about June seem to be like Northern Mockingbirds crowing up a storm. When I had multiple free-range flocks fairly close together, this was the season hens would move from one flock to another. The hens doing the moving (actually pullets) would float around by themselves and possibly directed by crowing going on overnight.

Frequency or repetition, I could not figure proper word choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by