A boy for my girls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yoie, Sep 1, 2011.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Currently I have 5 girls, 3 I ordered as girls, the other 2 I got lucky out of the straight run bin at TSC. I have 2 Pekins, 1 Cayuga, 1 Buff, and 1 Magpie. What size/breed should I get for my boy? I don't want him to big since the Magpie is fairly small, but my 2 Pekins are huge! If I got a smaller boy would he have a hard time with the Pekins? I really don't care if they breed pure, I mostly have them for my enjoyment, and it would be nice to hatch out some ducklings if I wanted too [​IMG]

2. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    I vote for a small, pretty boy... or none at all! [​IMG] I wish I had all girls!

3. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    A mallard would be a good boy to have, they are medium sized, handsome as anything, and trust me, he would have no problem with the pekins [​IMG]

4. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I have a buff duck, and he is a good size, or even a swedish should be good.

5. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I had a related question and posted it on the Metzer facebook page. Mine was mostly a concern on which way I should go to get the most out of what I wanted from my flock. From what I gather you could go with a fancy fellow for the fun of it, or choose based on what you want your offspring to be. As long as you're not thinking of a call drake to cover your pekins you should be alright!

6. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an Indian Runner drake, 3 Pekin girls and a Campbell (I think). I now have several babies from him, looks like Pekin X's and they are really pretty. Beware that drakes want to breed the girls constantly and I did have problems with my drake when he drowned one of the smaller X's in the pond trying to breed her. Think carefully if you want a drake. I do love mine but there can be "isssues" having a drake around. PS - One of my crosses just came out from under the barn floor with 12 ducklings! He is doing his job well. I now have too many ducks! [​IMG]

7. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks all!! I was thinking of getting either a mallard or a runner, having a hard time deciding [​IMG] I love the mallards coloring, but the runners stance [​IMG]

8. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I have trout indian runners, which are mallard colored, but stand like a runner. I have two females, kind of wish I had a male, Because I guess they are very hard to find.
    But if you can find them, they sound like they would be perfect for you.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you want eggs, I suggest a Runner drake, or a Khaki Campbell drake. Their offspring might get the egg laying gene.

If you want pretty, go with a Magpie or an Ancona. Then your ducklings have a chance of being spotted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by