a boy or a girl? or both?

radar2014

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 17, 2014
recently got some young chickens. theyre small.

the runt, a male has been separated due to fighting-which he started. he had been injured.
there is one male that runs at him thru the fence and when said runt escaped seclusion, I saw that rooster mount him twice, just as if he was a female.
i put a hen in this separated fence with him + the runt mounted the female.
he's quite a character!

Firstly, greetings and
welcome-byc.gif

It's not really uncommon for hens to mount and mate with other hens, and roosters to mount and mate with other roosters, and I've seen hens mount and mate with roosters too, as though the roosters were hens. Once mounted, the roosters certainly behaved just like hens and got into position and cooperated like hens do, but the rest of the time they behaved as normal roosters.

It's all just inherited instinct/behavioral patterns, there's no magical dividing line giving certain instincts to only one gender and not the other. Both genders have the full spectrum of all instincts that belong to the species, but there's a strong disinclination to express the behaviors normally associated with the other gender, due to hormonal and social/environmental cues, generally. It can all go awol, and it's not unusual for it to do so.

This chook doesn't look young to me, or at least it's fully mature sexually. I can't tell if it's a hen or a rooster, since healthy hens can have that facial coloring too. I'm leaning towards rooster, but that may be incorrect.

Your rooster may be mounting it whether it's a male or not because he's used to seeing much larger combs on males, or thinks all white chickens are hens or something like that (they can have some funny glitches in their thinking) but it's also possible that it's a hen with hormonal imbalance which could be causing more male-type behavior, and/or feathering and development.

Better photos would help, probably, but it's fairly inconclusive anyway. Some of my hens have male type feathering too, it happens, doesn't mean they're males (they've got endocrine issues but are still laying regularly).

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom