a broody breakup

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zebserema, Jun 20, 2011.

1. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i have a broody barred rock hen that has been sitting for about a week i had to pull her off her nest this morning because she has broke one of the eggs and she never left the nest to go to the bathroom she just went right there in her nest so i was wondering if you could help me with some tips on how to break her up i am trying a wire bottomed cage suspended over the ground about 3 feet or so is this enough [​IMG]

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    The cage is good.... I would also maybe try a bath. That seems to work for people. Good Luck!! [​IMG]

3. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:thanks [​IMG]

4. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

A wire cage worked for my AliceAnn. She is a determined broody, when she sets her mind to it. I find the sooner the attempt to break her up, the faster she gets over it. Last time it only took 5 days to break up the behavior and another week til she started laying again. As opposed to last time where the whole process took more than a month.
    Next time, I will cage her the second she acts broody (or, hopefully, she will wait until the teenage roos are big enough boys to be Daddies! That is my best hope, of course!)

Best of luck to you both!
    Bright Blessings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by