A broody girl

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vcollins, Sep 19, 2012.

1. vcollins

vcollins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    One of my four girls has gone broody. It's been 3 days and she just sits in the nesting box all ruffled up and growling if anyone comes near. She even went as far as pushing the walkway out of the coop door so the other chickens can't walk up there. I have been moving her periodically so she can eat/drink but she just ends up back in the nesting box. Poor thing can't hatch chicks either, no rooster. Is there anything I can do for her?!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    After a week, go to the feed store and buy her 2 or 3 chicks that or put her in a broody busting cage.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i have a six month old pullet that went broody several weeks ago.she gathered all the eggs that her other flock mates laid,including the fake egg we keep in the nest.and rolled them into her nest to sit on.(i Watched her do it)my dh felt so sorry for her.we don't have a rooster.my dh nephew has pullets and roosters.we got three eggs from him for her to sit on.i never see her get up and eat and drink.so i pulled her off her nest and she will eat a little and i very seldom see her drink.she does a big stinky poop.and goes right back to her nest.she has been sitting for 12 days.i candle her eggs on sun.i could see dark areas in the eggs.so i'am asuming they are babies.i'am new at this.maybe you can find some eggs for her to sit on.good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by