A broody Golden Comet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JEB NC 10, Jun 7, 2011.

1. JEB NC 10

JEB NC 10 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    I know they're not breed for this, but how is it still possible for a Gold Comet to do broody. One of my hens has taken to sleeping in the nest box at night and for the past 2 days has spent most of her time in there as well. This morning she got upset when I went out and had to move her to collect the eggs. I'm not opposed to her going broody as I would gladly get her some fertilized eggs to sit on (we only have 4 hens, no roo). I'm just wondering what ya'll think 1) whether she's going broody; and 2) would she stay that way or would she be likely to give up based on her breed?

Thanks in advance.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

It is possible for any hen to go broody, but many just do not.

There is no way to tell 100% if she will be a good broody or a halfway broody. And sometimes even good broodies quit for some unknown chicken reason.

I love a broody, and would get her some eggs. If she quits, well then no chicks [​IMG] but if she makes a go of it [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    It's possible! I had a black sex-link go broody and hatch 5 little mixed chicks a few weeks ago. And I have a cuckoo Marans with 6 mixed almost 1 week-old chicks now. Both are hatchery birds, of course, and made great first time moms. So yeah, it is possible. Like Horse Feathers NV said, there's no way to tell if she'll stick with it, but I'd give it a go. When my BSL went broody, the Marans went broody too, but only sat for three days before stopping. I guess when she saw the mama with her chicks, she decided to get serious, so now she has 6 of her own!

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Oh wow, you've gotten the one in a million chicken! [​IMG]

I personally wouldn't trust a gold sex link to successfully brood, since they're pretty much bred not to. BUT, there's always a chance that she's just a bird of a different feather (yeah I know bad pun [​IMG] ).

I second the motion to give her some eggs and see what she does!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If she's on the nest at night, she's broody.

I choose to give all my hens the benefit of the doubt on brooding. A lot of people told me a pure Ameraucana would make a terrible mother, and she was just a fabulous mother.

6. raisingkidsandchickens

raisingkidsandchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    One of our Golden Comets just went broody too! I didn't think they would. She is setting on a clutch of eggs though. We have a rooster and have had our comets for almost 3 years now. We'll see what happens I guess. [​IMG]

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Love your story---and picturing a Golden Comet being broody---as I am a great Golden Comet fan.

Like you, I wonder if my GC ever went broody would she stick it out?

With really careful timing, you could also have her spend 21 days on fake eggs, and when it looks like she will make it--- 'sneak' day old hatched chicks under her, at night, and she will think her eggs hatched. That way you would get the new chicks--- My Pet Chicken will provide a small number of chicks, (so you wouldn't need to buy 25) and there is/are other hatchery that for a price premium will send fewer chicks.

Sometimes, I think my GC spends a lot of extra time on the nest box--- and I think that it is something in the chicken's brain that gets triggered...and broodiness results.

Good luck with your hen..... it may be a great opportunity either by fertile eggs or new chicks to have her do the work of raising.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  8. raisingkidsandchickens

Aug 5, 2011
    She saw it thru!!!! We have a little black chick and a yellow one. Should be more to come by morning! [​IMG]
    Last I counted there were 19 eggs. We didn't keep too close of an eye on her so those could be the other chickens eggs too.

9. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:congratz

10. raisingkidsandchickens

Aug 5, 2011
    Thank you! We've always bought chicks so this is a big deal for us! I'm so excited! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by