1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A broody hen and dehydration

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wischickenlover, May 31, 2007.

1. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    I hope someone here can help answer my question. I lost one of my hens today-I know she had gone broody and was sitting on some eggs faithfully. Today when I came home from work, she had died while sitting on her eggs. I guess I always thought that a broody hen would come out long enough to eat and drink to sustain theselves? I guess now I am wondering if she could have died of dehydration? That's the only thing that makes any bit of sense. I am so sad at the loss of one of my flock and am looking for any kind of an answer. Please help shed some light on this for me-thanks!

Tiffany

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Sorry to hear about your loss. We always put feed and water next to them, that way I new for sure that they were getting enough.

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    So sorry for your loss. That is awful.

I do know (from this site) that many people force their broodies off the nest at least once a day to eat, drink, and poop. I'm assuming that the instinct must be really strong for some hens, and they don't dare leave their eggs even for a MINUTE.

-Meghan

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's unfortunate, but it has been known to happen...sometimes you have to grab her broody butt off the nest and force her outside to eat and drink. When Penny was broody, I'd put food and water in her carrier for her convenience.

5. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    Thank you to all who answered! I now have 3 broodies....and have bowls of food and water in front of each of them. Live & learn I guess-never had that happen before!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by