A broody Story.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Teresaann24, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    About 46 days ago...My young 7 month old Grey silkie set out to hatch some eggs.

I thought she was sick because she was staying inside the coop and would not come out.

I found her on 7 eggs and very much broody. I decided to move her so I got a pet taxi and placed her and eggs inside with LOT'S of hay.

As day and day passed I began to toss eggs as I candled. Once on day 8 and then again on day 18. By day 18 she had one lone egg that had anything growing inside.

I was uncertin she would have anything to hatch so I came on BYC and found someone nice enough to send me some eggs for her for just shipping costs. He sent me eggs on a Tuesday and I did not recieve them till the next tuesday so 7 days in the mail. The day I recieved these eggs a Ice storm hit. The lone egg was still under my broody and I was just giving it time thinking the cold had delayed its growth. I was without electric for 3 days and the shipped eggs sit in my cold house for 3 days. So by then the eggs where 10 days old. Maybe even older because I am uncertin when they was collected.

My electric come on 3 days after I recieved the eggs and placed them in a cooler with a heating pad waiting to see if the lone egg under my broody would hatch. Day 21 came and gone nothing day 22 came and gone nothing. Day 23 I candled the egg and it had died. It had piped the air sac but did not pip the shell. I placed the 9 eggs from the BYC member and 1 from my own hens. I gave up on these eggs thinking nothing would hatch from them. Day 8 came to candle I tossed all eggs but 4. They all looked real good and growing at the right pace. Now by then my girl had been siting for 31 days. So I was crossing my fingers hoping this girl got somthing for all her hard work. Day 18 I candled again all 4 eggs looked promising. By then she had been sitting for 41 days. As day 21 came I was so excited..Nothing hatched..I was heartbroken but I knew I'd wait before tossing anything. Day 22 One eggie hatched...Day 23 2 eggies hatched! The last egg was a quiter. By now she had been sitting for 46 days. I was so happy! You wouldnt believe how excited I was. She finally got her babies!!! Thanks to danrut101!!!

Here is some pics some of momma a few days before the hatch and some of the babies.

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Bless her little chicken heart.
  4. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    Good job on everyone's part. I can sense your excitement!! Babies are very cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by