A Cage?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ClareScifi, Sep 28, 2011.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I tried introducing the pecked chick to the mother, but she went after him.

Then I tried putting the other chick that had been pecked with him in the house, after treating the pecked areas with Rooster Booster (I couldn't find Blue-Cote). At first it repelled the 2d chick from pecking, but soon it started up again. So that won't work.

The 1st chick really came to life when I took him out to the coop and he was around the other chicks and Mama. His spirits rose. Do you think I could keep him in a cage out there during the day for the stimulation and then bring him back in at night?

He seems so lonely in the house.

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi ClareSciFi,

I don't know the history to this but it sounds like a reasonable idea. I'm assuming the chick is old enough not to need a lamp etc? You could section off part of the coop/run, or if the cage was a reasonable size and had shade/roof you could leave the chick there for a couple of weeks till things settle down.

I wonder if a bit of blue food dye could work instead of Blue-cote? The idea is to take away the red appearance so it doesn't attract picking. Might be worth a try? Then you could go back to having two chicks in together.

Hope it goes well,
    Erica

3. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks, Erica,

The chick was only born yesterday or in the middle of the night of the 26th/27th, but it's 93 F in the coop right now where I have the cage. Do you think this is good enough for the daytime? Maybe I could string up an electrical cord and put a heat lamp over the cage for the evening hours?

Clare

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by