A case of a quack and a curl.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tivona, May 6, 2017.

1. Male, that tail feather is a sure thing!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Female, the quack is what counts.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Uhhh...only the duck knows.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Okay so I have had ducks for years and as a result, I am very good at recognizing drakes versus females, usually. This one has me a bit confused. He? has a very clear curled tail feather and behaves more in a males type of behavior. Sort of on the watch and follows that other girls around. Then again that quack is very clearly a female's voice. Whats your opinion peeps?

[​IMG]

Please watch in high def to see that tail.

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I say drake he even told you at the end of the video lol

3. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    If your talking about the low raspy quack at the end its from another drake just of screen. All the sharp loud quacks are from this duck. No soft sounds from this one.

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Im gonna guess female. Just because i have been told by someone i cant remember that it is possible for a female to develop a curl. Extremely rare.... but possible from what i have been told ( not sure if its true tho :) )
    How old is it?

5. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    #2 of 10
    8/16/15
    jducour
    She is most likely a drake. I have heard of a female duck getting a curl if there are no males present, so there is a possibility it is a female. The best way to tell for sure is from their voices. Pick up each one individually and listen to them quack. Is it loud and honky? Or is it low and toady? (sorry, it's what I think they sound like LOL!) If they sound exactly the same as each other, they are most likely the same gender. How old are they? Oh - and pictures! :)

Found this from an old thread [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by