a cat attacked my 3 day old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick Next Door, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Chick Next Door

Chick Next Door New Egg

Sep 8, 2016
    My 3 day old chick was injured. She's got injuries on her wings, back of her head and is making a clicking sound when she chirps. She made it through the night and I'm feeding her water and mashed up egg yolk through a syringe. Any suggestions? She's just standing in one place with her eyes closed.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Is your little chick doing any better today? Sorry about your cat attack.

3. Chick Next Door

Chick Next Door New Egg

Sep 8, 2016
    She died last night. [​IMG] I bought a trap for the cat. I'll be rehoming the cat somewhere far away.

4. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    I'm sorry you lost your chick.
    For future reference, cats have some really nasty bacteria in their saliva that is deadly to birds.
    You can search for cat saliva bacteria, or pasteurella, and find lots of info. Short version is that it multiplies in the birds body very rapidly and overwhelms them and causes death. Even a seemingly unwounded bird that was "played with" by a cat can rapidly die from the bacteria. The only treatment is antibiotics started immediately.
    Best option is prevention and making sure that your chicks are not accessible by a cat, ever.
    Again, sorry for your loss, but hope the information helps in the future.

5. Days poultry

Days poultry Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2016
    Hi sorry for your loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by