A Cat Lady's Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicksdontmeow, Mar 27, 2016.

1. chicksdontmeow

chicksdontmeow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Illinois
    Hello everyone! I'm Ashley and I'm new to this whole business of raising and taking care of chickens. I'm twenty years old and still living with my parents and younger brother in northern Illinois, and everyone else in my family has been surprisingly on-board with my new-found interest in chickens. My dad's side of the family has a lot of farmers and growing up his dad bred and trained thoroughbred racehorses. We live on property zoned residential so I'm only allowed to keep up to six hens on our property, but that's okay with me, I'm not too keen on overwhelming myself with a huge flock for my first time ever raising and taking care of chickens. I am really fond of all types of animals, despite being a self-proclaimed "cat lady". Cats just happen to be my favorite animals since I've grown up with them and currently have two.

I've been lurking and keeping up with the EHAL as I wait for my own chicks to arrive from the hatchery. I've got my brooder all set up and I'm so ready to have some new members of the family. I'll only be keeping three of them, but I've ordered five barred rock chicks from Big R that are supposed to arrive tomorrow if all goes as planned.

I'm just all so very excited for this new adventure and I can't wait to show off my girls when they arrive. :)

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Ashley,

How exciting to get started raising chicks! Do you have a coop for them yet? Don't take too long to start building, if you haven't already. Those little chicks grow quickly.

Looking forward to seeing your photos!

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Welcome to BYC! :frow

Congratulations on the recent chick order! I'm sure you will love them!

4. chicksdontmeow

Mar 22, 2016
    Illinois
    @N F C

No coop yet, but I've decided to get one of the box kit coops that Big R carries. I'm definitely not good at building anything on my own and with the cold weather we've had lately my dad has no interest in spending long periods of time in our freezing garage building a coop. So it's a good compromise especially since I'll only have a few anyways. The store had a few assembled ones to show the finished product and they look pretty good compared to the ones I saw at Farm and Fleet. My birthday is April 10th so my parents agreed to pay for the coop as my last big birthday present.

@sunny & the 5 egg layers

Thank you very much!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. chicksdontmeow

Mar 22, 2016
    Illinois
    Tomorrow I start my first day of my new job and it's also the day my chicks are supposed to arrive! I'm so nervous and excited that it's keeping me awake.[​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - I'm all excited about your chicks too [​IMG] hope you will post photos when you are able

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like you'll be getting a great B-Day present as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by