a cement floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jklm, Jan 16, 2009.

1. jklm

jklm New Egg

Feb 9, 2008
    I got an old metal shed that has steel floor but is not level, what i am thinking of doing is smashing it down to make it as flat as i can then put some cement down in such a manner that it will drain to the door so it will be easy to clean out. will the cement cause any problems with the bird thanks jklm

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I am sure cement is fine- but you really don't need to go to all trouble. Plywood with scrap linoleum works just fine and is a lot easier...Just make sure the bottom is predator proof.

3. wohneli

wohneli Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    The floor of my coop is cement and it has been fine. It is really easy to shovel out!

4. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!
    First it would help to know where you are located. If you are in a freezing climate then you will have to take precautions with your cement. I'm sure you know if the ground freezes it will heave and wreck the cement. Check out my detailed BYC web page(s) I think you will find some good advice there.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14471-coop-layout
    I have many years construction experience and planned and built a very successful coop/barn with a cement floor. Cement floors are OK for chickens. Most folks, including myself, Put down litter of some sort. I use wood shavings/chips.

Getting back to your floor idea. I do not have any drainage problem at all. I put a slope on the cement pad but would not have needed any. If you are having so much moisture as to have a drainage problem you are doing something wrong. My coop is always dusty dry with no condensation. Pigs will have a drainage problem, not chickens. A chicken run can have drainage problems but that is outdoors.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Concrete floor is the best for any building, for many reasons, Durable and strong, easy to clean, will be very preditors proof.

I have concrete in my coop and I love it.

[​IMG]

Omran.

6. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    [​IMG]

The floor of my coop is cement, and I love it! It stays dry, is not hard on their feet or anything, I use mulch (wood chips) about 4-6 inches on it, they scratch and think they are on dirt, and it is very easy to keep clean!

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I also have concrete floors in my coop & run's, I live in an area the devil calls home when it comes to the weather. The concrete is so easy to clean, and maintain. The chickens think it's great. I have never had any sickness or disease with my birds and I like to think it is because I can keep the whole area disenfected. After I shovel and sweep up, I then hose it out pour some bleach on the floor and hose out again. I poured it so it wiil drain very nicely. I don't know why more people don't do this, Maybe they think it's to difficult or expensive, Plus since I don't have a dirt floor I can spray down walls and nest boxes twice a yr without having a muddy mess. My coop is 12'x22' with 2 runs 12'x12 each both coop's & run's are cement floors.

AL

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have concrete also. I have a floor drain but never need it. a sloped floor is handy if you are going to hose it down.

I would not recommend just smashing down your steel floor..
    I think it would be best to remove it.. any voids under concrete make the concrete weak..

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] I see you have been kurking for about a year. I think cement is a good idea. [​IMG] I have one wood coop and one metal one. I do have wood floors in both. I use the deep litter method and have rarely washed out the coops and I first shovel out the poopy litter and put it in my compost piles. then take the shop vac and clean up what I can't sweep and shovel out. I also have been moving the coops to give my birds some fresh grazing areas. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by