A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I think she's pretty. But I find turkeys attractive. Not sure what that says about me as most find them unattractive! My sister calls them prehistoric looking. At the lake...that sounds like fun!! Jealous!!
I used to think turkeys looked weird, too, but maybe it’s more about getting used to their different kind of beauty. Now I’m totally infatuated with their awesome cuteness. :love:love:love

Surprise??? Are you holding out on us Flashpoint???
So, are you keeping us in suspense?? What's your surprise?

Hah, sorry. While I was writing the post, I received a phone call I had to take, then went outside and forgot all about it.

Anyway, I had said something before about before starting to incubate any more TURKEY eggs, I wanted a smaller incubator and I ordered the Magicfly. It's supposed to be here by Tuesday.

In the meantime, my sister who lives in VA has been on a mission. She does this periodically and that's how I ended up with 8 ferrets - when I was only looking for a buddy for the one I had (have had ferrets since 2000.) She also bought me the hatchery chicks with trios of several different breeds and a few extra for a total of 20. Thank goodness the first 20 are now outside and "The Nine" from the bad hatch are soon headed that way.

Geesh, I hope I can get everyone integrated into my "older girl flock" before any turkey poults arrive.

So Tess goes on the hunt for midget white turkey eggs since my last hatch failed to give me even one that survived. 32 eggs - 9 chicks and nothing else.

She found a guy who had been selling on eBay and I am pretty sure she hassled him in email about whether or not he would be having any more to sell. (I swear I had nothing to do with it and had pretty much given up on getting any - esp since they tend to sell really high)

So, now I am getting eggs shipped by July 1 - an order that says 6 plus eggs. He also told her that there could be 1-2 blue slate eggs mixed in.
:celebrate

Since I am a tad paranoid over this last hatch, the game plan is that with the smaller incubator, I can keep better control over what is going on. Hopefully, this time things will go better.
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

And, I am also very excited!:wee

Yet, until we see how this goes, I am sure the paranoid force will be strong within me. lol

Memphis

I am hoping to get a couple of pets out of this next hatch. I have my original four and they always hang with me, won't get out of my way, will readily eat out of my hand, and have been awesome in general. However, if I go to TOUCH one, it is immediate hysterics. They have been handled since the day I got them as 2-3 day old poults. It must be a Narragansett thing.
:he

I don't have that problem with the chickens, so beats me??

I had a special session of Lapper training this morning. The Rusty Slate Tommy (Tommy is not quite a Tom Yet, for those needing to know the technical term for a young Tom) was not happy. He stayed on my leg but had the look of a beaten puppy.

He fought sitting to start with but settled down and actually sat and not stood on my leg. One of the SS Pullets came over and looked at him sitting there and then the other leg. She wanted up but is too shy to jump. I reached down and picked her up and she sat and cooed and whined (like SS girls do). She was all happy, I still had two hands for the Tommy. One to make sure he stayed there and the other to pet his head, snood, and neck.

I did have to pet the SS once in a while because they expect to be petted while being held. The Tommy just stared at the SS with that "Are you nuts? Why are you up here? You don't have to be. DO you really like sitting there?"

I made the SS get off my leg first. I had a line of SS wanting to sit on my leg, but I had work to do, so I denied them the privilege. The Bronzish girl was walking near me watching the Tommy. She had that , "I hope he doesn't do that to me" Look.

I did inform the Tommy I was planning to teach him to lead as soon as I got a leash made for him. He seemed altogether underwhelmed at that news.

I had a special session of Lapper training this morning. The Rusty Slate Tommy (Tommy is not quite a Tom Yet, for those needing to know the technical term for a young Tom) was not happy. He stayed on my leg but had the look of a beaten puppy.

He fought sitting to start with but settled down and actually sat and not stood on my leg. One of the SS Pullets came over and looked at him sitting there and then the other leg. She wanted up but is too shy to jump. I reached down and picked her up and she sat and cooed and whined (like SS girls do). She was all happy, I still had two hands for the Tommy. One to make sure he stayed there and the other to pet his head, snood, and neck.

I did have to pet the SS once in a while because they expect to be petted while being held. The Tommy just stared at the SS with that "Are you nuts? Why are you up here? You don't have to be. DO you really like sitting there?"

I made the SS get off my leg first. I had a line of SS wanting to sit on my leg, but I had work to do, so I denied them the privilege. The Bronzish girl was walking near me watching the Tommy. She had that , "I hope he doesn't do that to me" Look.

I did inform the Tommy I was planning to teach him to lead as soon as I got a leash made for him. He seemed altogether underwhelmed at that news.
:gig

Making progress! Those SS can really form a lap mob. Daisy won't allow them in my lap. I have to sneak out there for SS cuddling!
Did you give Tommy some treats while he was training??

I did not have any treats handy... he is a Tommy...

His name is JJ junior..

I know these technical terms can become confusing. A lot of people never use the term “Tommy”.

But I bet they have no idea about what a “Martin” is either... and I don’t mean the song bird

Back
Top Bottom