A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Feisty...hope Coco & Big Bird become bff's!

Aurora. ...interesting thought. Incubating a shell-less egg. Wonder if it can be done.

I've had as shell-less egg. What does cause that?? Hens are on layer with free choice oyster and free range. Anyone got any ideas on shell-less eggs?

Refilled & refreshed all my dirt bath areas today. Every girl in the flock was buried up to their eyeballs. They sure enjoy a dirt bath. :)

Feisty: glad to hear coco and big Bird are getting along.

Aurora: sorry to hear you might have to put a poult down. Not sure about a shelled egg on incubation.

Memphis: my girls love dust baths. They had a blast when they were ranging and I tilled the garden.

Ralphie: glad that blackie caused no serious injury. (Did he get time in the guinea gulag afterwards).

If the trio of narri is not sold I will get them on wed.

Couldn't get pens finished today the wind kept me sidelined.45+ mph gusts.

But did get rest of the runs finished and got all the birds contained.

Feisty...hope Coco & Big Bird become bff's!

Aurora. ...interesting thought. Incubating a shell-less egg. Wonder if it can be done.

I've had as shell-less egg. What does cause that?? Hens are on layer with free choice oyster and free range. Anyone got any ideas on shell-less eggs?

Refilled & refreshed all my dirt bath areas today. Every girl in the flock was buried up to their eyeballs. They sure enjoy a dirt bath.
smile.png

Shell-less eggs have been incubated but it can only be done in laboratory type conditions. The membrane covering the egg is so porous that it would lose too much moisture too quickly. When providing enough moisture to keep the egg from drying out, lack of oxygen becomes an issue.

Just because free choice oyster shell is available doesn't mean that particular hen is partaking of it. It can be a nutritional thing but it can also be an internal problem with that particular hen. Hens that have been sitting on nests for long periods of time will often lay soft shell eggs when they start laying again.

Feedman, the wind was nuts here too. Keeping my fingers crossed you get the the Narri's. The chickens are banned from my gardens now, but my turkey girls aren't. They are fun to garden with. They have to inspect everything I do. They are quite entertaining. One one of my decks I have seating...four chairs. We each have a favorite. My neighbor came down for a beer. Cocktails with the girls. They are too young to drink. It bums them out we weren't sharing!

R2elk, thanks for the info on hatching shell-less eggs. I've only had a few. I suspect Daisy. She laid them shortly after I got her. Since I caught her playing in rush hour traffic there is no way to know what she had been through. Can stress cause soft eggs too?

Feedman, the wind was nuts here too. Keeping my fingers crossed you get the the Narri's. The chickens are banned from my gardens now, but my turkey girls aren't. They are fun to garden with. They have to inspect everything I do. They are quite entertaining. One one of my decks I have seating...four chairs. We each have a favorite. My neighbor came down for a beer. Cocktails with the girls. They are too young to drink. It bums them out we weren't sharing!

R2elk, thanks for the info on hatching shell-less eggs. I've only had a few. I suspect Daisy. She laid them shortly after I got her. Since I caught her playing in rush hour traffic there is no way to know what she had been through. Can stress cause soft eggs too?

My experience with turkeys in the garden is that they can be very harmful to new onions. For some reason they seem to love to either clip the greens off of them or just pull the onions out of the ground. I have never seen any evidence of them actually eating the onions.

If you feed your turkeys treats from the garden, they will help themselves given the opportunity. I had pumpkins growing on the border of the turkey pen and the garden and every pumpkin within their reach disappeared early in the green stage.

If you do a search on here, there is at least one and I think more than one thread on incubating an egg with the shell removed. I believe they were in the Incubating & Hatching Eggs forum.

Stress can cause almost any type of disorder in almost any living thing.

I don't think I'd let them in my gardens if I was growing food. Unfortunately with my dense shade I can't grow things like that. I specialize in natives. I have a test plot of 2 inch white Tennessee native iris for the Memphis Botanic garden I don't dare let them near! They are kind of funny. They walk around most of the plants. They havent devoured anything yet. I see them pick things off of leaves once in awhile. My chickens however will eat several things. Little pigs! :rolleyes:

I was out taking some pictures the other day when it was really nice out. Finally got around to uploading some.

Adam, strutting his stuff. He's been molting but his tail is looking better now than it did.

Adam and Mary.

Eve, wanting on my lap but waiting for me to pick her up. She's too spoiled to actually jump up on her own now lol.

Sweet Pea, telling me all about life. She's ALWAYS talking about something :)

Good morning..

We are in the first of two ugly days here.

Wind is about 390 knots from the North ( give or take 4 knots) it is 19 degrees, which while warm normally is very chilly today.

I need to go see how the Black birds are doing with the turkeys. There were lots of pops and whistles last night when they first got together a few minor fights. I find it amazing birds that live together in peace for over a year have to fight and reposition themselves in the pecking order when they move to a new building/pen.

I do not think the effort required to incubate a shell-less egg would be worth it. As R2elk says moisture would be a pain. I have enough trouble with porous eggs let along a shell-less one.

I have to go check the hen I am going Gitmo on, see how she came through her first night of sleep deprivation. She was not a happy bird when she went in her little cage. SO basically I have all my birds pottied-off at me. She was so happy when I picked her up and carried her to the shed, she just sat in my arms and cooed and clucked. Made no attempt to leave.

Blackie did not go to Guinea gulag, if we were not in the "special" time of the year he might have. I think chicken bites are so funny. They really cannot hurt you by biting, but you know they are mad. If he had been smart he would have speared me with his beak. I did not have gloves on so it would have hurt. Dumb Bird.

Morning folks! Ugg, back to work. But what a beautiful weekend here. Although a bit windy.

Ralph, glad your giving Blackie a pass for his indiscretion. It is that time of year!

Aurora, what great pictures! Has Pebbles given up being broody??

Morning folks! Ugg, back to work. But what a beautiful weekend here. Although a bit windy.

Ralph, glad your giving Blackie a pass for his indiscretion. It is that time of year!

Aurora, what great pictures! Has Pebbles given up being broody??

Nope. She is still stubbornly hoping that her ceramic egg will hatch lol. I'll give her a few chicks next weekend when they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom