A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Gevshiba, noticed your dog on course. I have a turkey that will do weave poles and the A frame. And I agree, turkey eggs are delicious.

Aurora/Ralph....good luck with your mega hatches! You two need help!
gig.gif

I'm waiting for the agility turkey video!

I'll do a video. Training is suspended due her molt. Should be back on course soon!

Spent some time this evening weeding the front beds. Turkey girls went with. I was pulling weeds & tossing them in a pile for the girls to eat or mangle. We have a system now. Neighbor with a 3 year old boy stopped to visit the turkeys. The kid was great. He slowly walked up & sat down. Daisy couldn't resist. She sat down next to him. He petted her very gently. Even Annie walked up to him. Poor kid didn't want to leave. Started crying when dad said they had to go. He was so good with the hens. A natural.

My Toms met me at the door when I went out this evening for lock up and bird check.

I like when they meet me at the door, my DW does not like them at the door. I put my hands out and said "Head to bed, guys!" they almost ran to their pen. All of them went in except JJ. Who went by the door, but with JJ I just called his name reached down and touched him and he turned around and went in.

Now the problem of the day. It does not appear they are eating during the day. They will not eat the fancy expensive Game bird Breeder formula I bought for them. It stays in the feeder until the chickens and squirrels eat it the next day. They are refusing the Game Bird mash I normally feed them. They spend the whole day strutting in front of the women's prison. They do not eat or drink. Unless they are finding something to forage on the ground ,but it is picked pretty clean this time of year.

I gave them fresh water in a "dish" tonight thinking they would want to drink it with the mud puddles all frozen all day. They did not, The refused to even look at the fresh water! I gave in and threw some whole corn, BOSS and oats in the pen for them. They rushed over to it. I am not going to start feeding them corn and BOSS every night.

BTW they have an order they eat the treat in. Corn first, then BOSS, and leave the oats for someone else to eat. Spoiled birds!

I hope they do not starve to death on me. I would hate to have the humane society come out and complain I starved my animals. Besides I do not look good in prison jump suits doing the perp walk.

Speaking of perp walks, here is my PC that went Broody, serving time in GITMO. As soon as she lays an eggs she can get out.

Kind of a bleak existence.

Poor hen. I hate it when I have something go broody! Ugg. I've never had a Speckled Sussex go broody. My Australorps are the worst for me to break.

Your not the first one I seen mention they don't see their Tom's eat. I'm sure the time of year is playing a part. My hens don't miss a meal. :rolleyes: They get a small bedtime snack of BOSS.

Hi every one we have 7 7 month old delinquent blue slates (2 hens 5 jakes) that roam the property like herds of wildebeest on an African plain. So far we can still bribe them back into the barn at the bottom of our property each night. They rush up to the top field to strut and gobble at my 7 hens and 1 Tom, Spot, on the other side of the fence. Spot is only 2 months older than them but obviously feels threatened. Today the girls on his side were laying down for the boys on the other side (hubba hubba boys here we are... eyelashes flutter fluttering). He was treading them, much to the other boys disgust. Then the 2 hens from the other side got into a dispute with the 6 hens grabbing their snoods through the wire (You hussies these are our boys keep your beaks away from them). It was like a soap opera. They keep each other entertained for hours. So funny!

355 post to catch up on,,, there is NO WAY,,,Lol,,, but i will scroll through the pics :) .. Ive been super busy haven't closed on the new farm yet BUT closing is scheduled for March 15th,, Finally.. but the sellers have kindly been letting me go over and fix a couple outbuildings... they figure they have nothing to loose with getting new roof,new windows,new insulation,electric and walls..LOL... but it will make my move allot easier when the time comes. I will be able to take my chickens over there the day before closing. I'm looking forward to getting Porter, I cant wait,,, Hope he likes his new home, I'm setting up the Corn crib for him and his girls.. it will be a work in progress since ive never had Turkeys before,, hopefully he lets me know what he likes or wants done differently.. There are coyote tracks everywhere around the bldgs, That makes me nervous. and LOTS of deer droppings which is pretty cool.. there was a HUGE eagle sitting in a tree when i was over there couple days ago, He was probably wondering what will soon be on his dinner menu, OK time to look at pics.. take care all....

Sounds awesome Coffee!! Cant wait fir u to get Porter from Ralph! Sounds like a little nature reserve over there!

I know it's been a while since I shared and I was trying to sell my boys after I lost my hen to a fence.. Well, the folks that bought my Mo, named him Maverick(Blue Slate). They had a bronze, I think they were gonna mate him with. She was a pretty girl.. That left me with Curly my tom with the curled toes and limp. They also had a Comercial white hen that didn't get around very well. She was like 45# and they were either going to eat her or give her to a petting zoo. I offered an amount and brought her home and started doctoring. I about gave up on her myself and was about to put her out of her misery as I thought. She really took to my chickens once she was able to get around... She became more of a mother goose to them. She then began pursuing my tom after a couple more weeks. . Well today on my son's 24th Bday, she was missing for hours.. I found her.. I didnt disturb her because she was hiding. When she moved. ... Her first egg... :) What will a Comercial white and a Blue Slate produce?
Oh, I was just communicating to them today, their hen is laying as well, so, I'm getting eggs from them tomorrow and putting them on the bater tomorrow and we are going to split the poults. .. What am I getting myself into?

Wow.. Coffee Porter will be happy to move, He is about to get evicted and be forced to live in the open. I need the tom pen for the Blue Tom and his girls 4 self blues().. ( and the guineas)...

JJ is going into the old Creamette run/coop with Blackie and the BA's... With Ethel and 2 self blues.

Ron, I would think the babies would be sweeties!

Tomorrow's hatch has started tonight! I had 3 Speckled Sussex in the hatcher, ALL 3 hatched...

I also have another white sport!!!

Poor hen. I hate it when I have something go broody! Ugg. I've never had a Speckled Sussex go broody. My Australorps are the worst for me to break.

Your not the first one I seen mention they don't see their Tom's eat. I'm sure the time of year is playing a part. My hens don't miss a meal. :rolleyes: They get a small bedtime snack of BOSS.

What is BOSS? Is it bad for them to go broody? I love when mine do... it saves me so much headache. . I'm not as good a raising chicks or poults as they are. I have a brown hen chicken that has hatched and raised a most of my grown flock... including my turkeys. .. 8 out of 12 and she just hatched 8 more.. she lost two of those, but the other 6 are over 2 week old. I hatched 5 marons, lost one so far.. they are in their 1st week. I bought 15 marans, lost two, sold four, and a silkie... I have two splash, three black copper maran and four blue copper maran. . Oh.. I also bought 20 Boven Browns. . Love there eggs.. They are the sweetest birds... boy were they ugly when I got them. When they laid an egg, it would splash. .. the shells were so thin.. I've sold all but 4 that really grew on me.. I'm buying more Saturday. .. by the time I figure the food and doctoring and fuel... I'm not making money but I think I'm getting them good homes..

Back
Top Bottom