A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

@MinnesotaNice you can come to my wedding in about 5-10 yearslol. If I am like my dad I will be married in three....

5-10 years! Let's plan on 3 and I'll tell my sister to get her act together. Just don't show her your fear and you'll be fine.

Holm, we'll all come to your wedding!
gig.gif

MNnice....my Bourbon hen is a hoot! She has to get her beak in the middle of anything I'm doing! She is also the most vocal. She doesn't hesitate to let you know what she thinks. And she is my little fashion critic. I don't think you can go wrong with any heritage breed! I'd keep an eye on what Mr. T is producing and JJ. Those are both very nice toms and I'd look for something from either one in hopes they pass on their sweet temperaments.

And what the heck! Annie is molting!!!

This season has all sorts of birds confused. What kind of weather are you getting?

Memphis LOL!

I really hope I can get Mr. T babies. I still worry about him being sterile... If he is it looks like I am gonna have a useless pet lol! I have a feeling he is gonna be around for awhile. If I dont get any babies from him and his girls I will just find another tom... A very colorful one

Why would he be sterile? I hope you can get some babies, too! I've been preparing DH for the impending Turkey flock. I don't want to let him down.

Minnesotanice I just think he might be cuz I have never got good eggs from him and his girls. But his first year he was inexperienced (even though we caught him practicing on a cemet block. Yes thats right my turkey did breed a cement block) so I am mrking that down to him still beimg clumsy. Last spring I marked it down to his hen beung to big and if he doesnt get any this year I am just gonna say he is sterile cuz he should have babies.

RJohns....you need to go over to Porters Heritage Breed Turkeys site and play with his calculator. You punch in the tom and the hen and it tells you genetically what they will produce. Its addicting....but so worth it! Heck...I can hang on that site for a few hours just drooling over the turkey pictures. IN FACT....Ralphie has a few birds featured on his site!! Thats right....Ralphie has a few famous birds!!

Didn't mean to scare you....but reports of hens starting to lay are popping up all over. Not in overwhelming numbers and spread all over the states. For some odd reason I sort of keep track of it. Last year at this time there were many more hens laying. This year...they seem slower to start. Many more hens are "Squatting".... so we have a bunch thinking about it!

Yes Finnie....that turkey sperm stays viable for quite awhile!

Feedman....I wanna Narri hen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
already been playing with the calculator... and YES it's addictive... Hoping my hens will give me a week or so to get their new housing ready...

Not turkey related but I went to put my legbar and fcbm eggs in lockdown.

I have pips already. Shouldn't have hatched til sunday.

Guess their in a hurry to get here.

Wow Feedman! Your on a roll with the hatching!! Now hatch me a Narri hen! :lol:

Annie is molting. Noticed a feather here and there last week. This week I'm knee deep in red feathers and shes one huge quill. I thought she molted last fall. But then she went broody for a bit. Not sure if that had anything to do with it....or maybe the weather. :idunno
Weird timing. Unlike my chickens, she is NOT being body shamed by the flock for lack of feathers. She could care less about her spotty baldness!

Are the temps on the high side?

My legbars are always my last ones to hatch.

Thought temp were good and steady in cabinet but I think I must have put one tray in a hot spot.

Because I have some set in another tabletop incubator and they look like they are on track for the weekend hatch.

Wow Feedman! Your on a roll with the hatching!! Now hatch me a Narri hen! :lol:

Annie is molting. Noticed a feather here and there last week. This week I'm knee deep in red feathers and shes one huge quill. I thought she molted last fall. But then she went broody for a bit. Not sure if that had anything to do with it....or maybe the weather. :idunno
Weird timing. Unlike my chickens, she is NOT being body shamed by the flock for lack of feathers. She could care less about her spotty baldness!

So far hatching starting decent.

Sorry Anne is molting in winter.

Sure it's not her attempt to become a house lapper turkey. Cause it's still chilly out.

I have a Sunday hatch coming too, I think, I kind of forgot the date I put them in....

They are in the hatcher now but the humidity went high on me, so who knows if any are still alive, I shut the water off to it and hopefully it will drop.

I have been making nest boxes, I think I have to redesign all mine, I am getting a rash of egg eaters!

We had 38 degrees here maybe 40 even, so I worked outside in the barn most the day. I did spend time holding Cuddles, I put him in the sun for awhile, he was so happy. I think he sat on my lap for 10-15 minutes, he just eats up being the center of attention.

I think Snitch is a tolerant as of today. I held her on my lap for about 20 minutes also. She just sat there and cooed when I scratched her head. Not sure if it was a good coo or a bad coo. I even took my hands off her for a few minutes at a time. I would pet her some but did not have to hold her there. She is really a nice looking bird body wise. A tad small but a straight keel and legs, holds herself well, the only thing she needs is a plastic surgeon her breasts are a little on the small side. Hopefully they will fill out by fair time.

Back
Top Bottom