A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

This is a little icky BUT kinda cool ,,, I've never incubated eggs before so I've been a little nervous , today is the 1st time I've checked the chicken eggs to see how they were doing and they all look fine, my mom wanted to see one and took it out of the incubator and OMG she dropped it on the counter and the shell cracked and blood was coming out of it so I figured I would open it up to see the progress , might as well learn from the experience.. and since I'm new to this whole thing maybe there are others also learning so I thought I would post a pic in case someone else was curious, Eggs are 12 days old

This is awesome. Sad you had to lose one, but really cool to learn from it and share. :)

So tonight I sold Cinnamon. He will not crush any more of my chickens. His body count was up to four. Well, two were unexplained deaths that I've decided to blame on him, one I witnessed and couldn't save the hen after he "mated" with her, and the latest one was a week ago. My oldest hen, Jenny, a barred rock. She is still alive, and might even recover. But I think she has something broken, cuz if she leans the wrong way, she topples onto her back and can't right herself. I go out there a couple of times a day and get her upright. Then she is ok until the next episode. But he also basically scalped her. That's all healing nicely. My family keeps telling me to put her down, but she eats and drinks and walks ok. Heck, she can even jump up the steps to her little coop at night and back down in the morning. It's only when she's stuck on her back that she looks like death warmed over. :(

The guys that bought cinnamon were funny! They texted me within an hour of the ad going up on CL. I had him for $50 and they asked if I'd take $30. I said no, $50's fair, but maybe if he doesn't sell in a couple of weeks. So then he offered $40, so I said ok and I called him. Turns out they were at a nearby bar playing poker and the one guy had been looking for a tom for his hen and really wanted to get him tonight on his way home cuz he lives kind of far away. (Well, only about 40 minutes.) So he talked his friend into letting the turkey ride home in his friend's new truck on his lap- no box!! What people will go through to get a nice Bourbon Red tom! I bet he would have paid the whole $50, too, if I hadn't agreed to 40, lol. He sent a text after he got home. Turkey made it safe, and only pooped a little bit on him!!

And then also tonight, Swan has decided to go broody! When I grabbed Cinnamon off his roost, I noticed Swan was missing. So I looked under the boxwood where she lays her egg everyday, and sure enuf, there she was. I started to pick her up, but she hissed at me. Being a wimp, I decided to take my chances that the coyotes won't find her on the first night. I'll wrassle her in the daylight tomorrow and put her somewhere safe. I've got 6 of her eggs I can give her that we're going to go in the incubator. Although maybe I will try her with chicken eggs first to make sure she actually sits. Now that Cinnamon is gone, the clock is ticking on how many fertile eggs she can produce.

So tonight I sold Cinnamon. He will not crush any more of my chickens. His body count was up to four. Well, two were unexplained deaths that I've decided to blame on him, one I witnessed and couldn't save the hen after he "mated" with her, and the latest one was a week ago. My oldest hen, Jenny, a barred rock. She is still alive, and might even recover. But I think she has something broken, cuz if she leans the wrong way, she topples onto her back and can't right herself. I go out there a couple of times a day and get her upright. Then she is ok until the next episode. But he also basically scalped her. That's all healing nicely. My family keeps telling me to put her down, but she eats and drinks and walks ok. Heck, she can even jump up the steps to her little coop at night and back down in the morning. It's only when she's stuck on her back that she looks like death warmed over. :(

The guys that bought cinnamon were funny! They texted me within an hour of the ad going up on CL. I had him for $50 and they asked if I'd take $30. I said no, $50's fair, but maybe if he doesn't sell in a couple of weeks. So then he offered $40, so I said ok and I called him. Turns out they were at a nearby bar playing poker and the one guy had been looking for a tom for his hen and really wanted to get him tonight on his way home cuz he lives kind of far away. (Well, only about 40 minutes.) So he talked his friend into letting the turkey ride home in his friend's new truck on his lap- no box!! What people will go through to get a nice Bourbon Red tom! I bet he would have paid the whole $50, too, if I hadn't agreed to 40, lol. He sent a text after he got home. Turkey made it safe, and only pooped a little bit on him!!

Congrats on the sale.

:lau on the ride home and a little poop.

Back
Top Bottom