A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Finnie....what an exciting Easter!! Congrats on the new grandbaby & the one incubating!!

Feedman....did you get out to hunt & fish? It was raining like crazy the whole way home down 55.

Memphis: made it hunting no luck. Family business interpret fishing and beverages.

Rjohns. Are your toms near a fence. Mine will be bald in the chest by end of breeding season fence strutting.

My girls unslacked on laying for the day. In fact all my birds picked up.

8 turkey eggs.
5 quail
3 pheasant.
3.5 dozen chicken.

My broody narri won't give it up. So I put another doghouse in their for the other hens to lay in. So i brokedown and Gave the broody 7 chickens eggs to set.

It's still to early for broodies. Last year when one went they thought they all had to go. Even some chickens that shouldn't be broody. It's a virus. Anyone have a vaccine for it?

Well Feedman, so far nothing here is broody...keeping my fingers crossed!

Except for the robin on my bathroom window sill. She's up to three eggs in her nest. Mr. Robin is out there standing guard.

That's good to hear memphis but that broody virus is sneaky. Is mrs. Robin setting.

Between trips back and forth to hospital for my gma today. Not an unstressful day. I took advantage of the sunny nice day to till the garden.

Planted 20 jalapeño plant. 20 green pepper plants. Sweet corn and green beans are sprouting.

And made some cucumber archs out of cattle panels.

More strange turkey behavior... I have a RP and Narri who seem to be sharing a nest. Both act broody but neither are mean. Today, DW was collecting eggs and though the hen was happy to be petted, she tried to take the eggs back. What I think is weird about this is that one day the narri is setting the nest, the next its the RP. Is this normal or are my birds just weird?

Wow....Feedman, that garden looks great! You need to post pics periodically as it progresses. I love cattle panels! I need to write a book..."101 Uses for Cattle Panels".

Rjohns....your turkeys aren't weird. They are just....turkeys! And liable to do anything!!

All turkeys are weird..

I had two "proofs" of this today.

I lifted the RP hen off her nest to check for eggs under her. She is so broody now I can lift her right up and she refuses to move. When I lifted her I found a CLB completely under her. The stoooopid turkey was trying to hatch a hen.....Of course the CLB was not all that bright either.

Second, there has been a Wild Turkey Hen hanging out here all day long. She has been trying to woo the boys into visiting her near the Appletinnis pen. Tonight she succeeded to get 5 of the boys down there near her. The 5 boys refused to go to bed. They would break free and run back to her, scream and yell at us as we pushed them towards the coop. I have never seen 5 hornier toms in my life. They did not seem to care she was a wild one and not good for them.

I assume tomorrow I could lose a TOM to the wild hen. Does she not have one of her own kind to mate with?

She is so small compared to my birds even. I wonder if I could have pushed her into the coop? She really did not seem to care much about my being there. It was like if my Toms accept me she would too....

Back
Top Bottom