A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Thanks! Have you ever used wax? Do you think it would work to scald, pluck most of the feathers/fluff, then wax? Or would the wax pull off skin at that point? 🤔
I haven't done one like this I've only just taken the breasts out. I took the legs off the call duck too but there wasn't really enough meat on them to even mess with. I watched this video a while back and it sure does look like it would work well if you really wanted to keep the skin. I don't know that it would be worth the trouble.

I haven't done one like this I've only just taken the breasts out. I took the legs off the call duck too but there wasn't really enough meat on them to even mess with. I watched this video a while back and it sure does look like it would work well if you really wanted to keep the skin. I don't know that it would be worth the trouble.
Why is that sad?

Oh. Well yeah kinda. 🤷
So far all I've done is one call duck and some shoveler ducks. They are all so small it seemed like it would be a lot of work for no more than what I would get from it. If I raise a batch of cayuga ducks for meat I'll try plucking them.
Tossing all the parts that you don't feel are worth bothering with into a pot of water to make broth is much better than just tossing. Any method that does not bother with harvesting the two little back medallions is tossing away the best meat on any poultry. Skinning or keeping the skin can be a personal preference. Even if you don't eat the skin, it greatly adds to the finished product when cooking.

Oh. Well yeah kinda. 🤷
So far all I've done is one call duck and some shoveler ducks. They are all so small it seemed like it would be a lot of work for no more than what I would get from it. If I raise a batch of cayuga ducks for meat I'll try plucking them.
People raise quail for meat, they are a lot smaller than your ducks

The skin is my favorite part, so I take time to save it. I've not waxed before, but I have ran a torch over the skin after plucking to burn off all the little hairy feathers. Just sweep over the skin so you don't cook it.

Pluckers are the best inventions.
I have always said the skin is the best part, the more skin the better..

but sometimes it’s hard to keep the skin on them.

The skin is my favorite part, so I take time to save it. I've not waxed before, but I have ran a torch over the skin after plucking to burn off all the little hairy feathers. Just sweep over the skin so you don't cook it.

Pluckers are the best inventions.
I have one; it works great for chickens. Mine doesn't do enough to a turkey's foliage to make it worth cleaning, so I'm thinking prolly not great for geese. Ducks, maybe. I think I'm gonna try:
  • Dry plucking then torch; & if that's not great:
  • Dry partial plucking, then wax (like the video)
  • Scalding then pluck (then torch if needed)
I have 16 geese. I'm only gonna save 2-3; my original gander & 1-2 of his 3 geese. I really think three ladies are too many; not for fertility (that was pretty much 100%), but for peacefulness. I'm pretty sure we're gonna have a hard time going through that many geese, so I'm likely not gonna raise that many next year. Even if I do decide that's a reasonable number, it doesn't look like being a problem for two or three to give me a dozen or more roasters.

I have 16 geese. I'm only gonna save 2-3; my original gander & 1-2 of his 3 geese. I really think three ladies are too many; not for fertility (that was pretty much 100%), but for peacefulness. I'm pretty sure we're gonna have a hard time going through that many geese, so I'm likely not gonna raise that many next year. Even if I do decide that's a reasonable number, it doesn't look like being a problem for two or three to give me a dozen or more roasters.
You know that it is okay to sell some of them.

Back
Top Bottom