A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Seems like the co2 was for late hatchers. Which are the weak ones in my hatches. I would think the lower fan speed would decrease air exchange and increase ço2
In my experience, late hatchers aren't worth letting hatch. Giving them more CO2 at the end would finish them off.

Lots of people seem to have issues. I mostly use hens for turkeys.
I have better luck with chicken eggs in the incubator than under a hen. But I have big clumsy chicken hens that break chicken eggs.
The number one problem with hatching home grown turkey eggs is the parents being too closely related.

The number one problem with hatching shipped turkey eggs is the shipping. The bigger the eggs are, the more adverse are the effects of shipping. Quail eggs handle shipping much better than do turkey eggs.

When using my incubator as a hatcher, I have had 100% hatches of turkey eggs. My cabinet incubator is a newer model and has a crappy air flow design. This prevents it from being as effective a hatcher as the old incubator can be.

If all the eggs I put in it were to hatch, I would be overrun with turkey poults and would have to learn restraint in setting eggs.

If all the eggs I put in it were to hatch, I would be overrun with turkey poults and would have to learn restraint in setting eggs.
LOL I had a good hatch and so did some people that got eggs. One bycer had 12/12. The feed farmer had 220 of 240.
Last year, same birds, one guy had a terrible hatch and one was footless. He thought it was his incubator and I agree. The chicken eggs only had one hatch.

It is not normal for a Bourbon Red to have a white chest. You may want to share that picture with Kevin Porter at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

I posted it on the FB page and only got one response that I needed to cull the bird from one of the members. Geesh, sorry but since I am NOT raising show birds, I am not going to cull a healthy bird because it has an aberrant coloration.

Woaaaah that bourbon with the white chest! I love it! Can't wait to see what they look like full grown!
Hey, I think her chest makes her more distinctive (easy for me to identify) and even prettier. lol. At least I won't have to band this one.

I never thought I would find it necessary to band my Midget Whites - until I ended up with 16. As they get larger, I can see it will be difficult not to band. There isn't much color difference between white and white and many of the younger hens look just like my two pet MW hens. :lau

Otherwise, it really isn't a big deal to me other than she had it and I wondered what possible scenarios covered that. If I never get an answer, that's fine. 🥰

I posted it on the FB page and only got one response that I needed to cull the bird from one of the members. Geesh, sorry but since I am NOT raising show birds, I am not going to cull a healthy bird because it has an aberrant coloration.
I would still show the pic to Kevin through his email available at the Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

Unlike that particular person that is breeding to a specific standard, he is sometimes interested in out of the ordinary birds.

I do know that the Turkey Color Calculator does not allow for that particular result.

I would still show the pic to Kevin through his email available at the Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

Unlike that particular person that is breeding to a specific standard, he is sometimes interested in out of the ordinary birds.

I do know that the Turkey Color Calculator does not allow for that particular result.
I will do that. Thanks for reminding me about the email. :)

120523793_3944159095613356_4765029436887858191_o.jpg

my baby turkeys are growing up able to jump out of their tubs and roost.. Bless my old hens heart for looking after some of the turkey babies every night as they grow. Barred Rocks are such a sweet breed.

A neighbor came over to pick flower seeds. While walking around and seeing the turkeys, I showed her where a previous hen had her hidden nest that I couldn't spot even when standing right beside it. I mentioned that I have another turkey hen on a hidden nest that I had not found yet. After walking about 20 more feet, I said oh, there she is, she is within 10' of you. The response was where as she turned in a circle looking for the turkey. She finally spotted the stinker on her hidden nest in the garden.

I have been walking by the nest for weeks, multiple times daily without seeing it. I only found it today because the hen was sitting on it at the time.

After she got off of the nest, I went back and replaced her 12 eggs with a couple of fake goose eggs.

Back
Top Bottom