A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have a turkey that finally hatched a chick 2 weeks ago. Tonight she was up a tree 12 ft. The chick had sense enough to get in the coop. I don't think a poult could get up there at that age, much less a chick. I put it under a chicken with chicks the same age and hope for the best.
This turkey co-brooded with another, but she left/driven before they left the nest. She laid another clutch, but chickens kept laying and those broke, ruining all. So I was incubating for a chicken and gave her 4 eggs ready to hatch. She managed not to kill this one, but it would have been dead by morning since it's going down to the 30s and raining.

I have a turkey that finally hatched a chick 2 weeks ago. Tonight she was up a tree 12 ft. The chick had sense enough to get in the coop. I don't think a poult could get up there at that age, much less a chick. I put it under a chicken with chicks the same age and hope for the best.
This turkey co-brooded with another, but she left/driven before they left the nest. She laid another clutch, but chickens kept laying and those broke, ruining all. So I was incubating for a chicken and gave her 4 eggs ready to hatch. She managed not to kill this one, but it would have been dead by morning since it's going down to the 30s and raining.
Turkey poults can fly well at two weeks old. This is why I take poults out of the brooder at two weeks.

Mine must be defective. I have 8 wks old poults that can't get up on top of the 6 ft hoop coop. 3 of 11 can but the rest are about a ft short.
They sound inbred.....maybe you should have them tested for genetic disorders..

Also do they drool more than normal?

:lau

last swap of the year tomorrow morning.... it's going to be cold! I'm hoping Mister and Phil find new homes so we don't have to eat them...

I thought you all would like to see the new saddle patterns for the Halloween/ Harvest season :) I put together 50 this week in various sizes. I'm hoping to sell a few tomorrow but then, they're going up on Etsy.

20201002_175228.jpg

@R2elk

Ok, I tried to find some info on the internet and, so far, have not. What is a "Mosaic"?

Kevin answered,

"Possibly a mosaic but not sure. Just have to see if it retains it into adulthood."
I assume that it refers to a bird that has multiple genetic color patterns instead of the normal single color pattern.

"In genetics, a mosaic, or mosaicism, involves the presence of two or more populations of cells with different genotypes in one individual who has developed from a fertilised egg. ... Genetic mosaicism can result from many different mechanisms including chromosome nondisjunction, anaphase lag, and endoreplication."

I assume that it refers to a bird that has multiple genetic color patterns instead of the normal single color pattern.

"In genetics, a mosaic, or mosaicism, involves the presence of two or more populations of cells with different genotypes in one individual who has developed from a fertilised egg. ... Genetic mosaicism can result from many different mechanisms including chromosome nondisjunction, anaphase lag, and endoreplication."
Heh - a quick read of several articles involving all the genetic terms above states it is a mutation that can be general or local when some cells do not divide properly and the daughter cells end up with double copies of one gene and other cells are absent of those copies. (Also, looking at the development/creation of the bourbon red by crossing the Buff, White Holland and Standard Bronze turkey.)

From what I can understand (albeit nominally) is that the white patch may be related to specific areas of the skin itself, the feathers, and the location in a combination or individually of each genetic anomaly.

Hence, for whichever reason or combination thereof, I end up with a Bourbon Red with a white breast (and a white ring around the neck) because of some cells that divided improperly.

Will be interesting to see if she does retain the patch - and I still won't cull her. lol

The poultry yard has so many feathers I didn't notice a poult in the weeds without a head this morning. Birds are acting normal so I assume an owl that the others didn't notice in the middle of the night. The older poults and most of the adults sleep in the trees. I have not been successful getting them to sleep in the coops when I have more than a dozen. It's like wack a mole getting them out of the trees.

Back
Top Bottom