A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Turkeys pick strange spots for a nest. 2 in picture but another lays there too. This is 3 ft from where I walk all the time.
KIMG0347_04.JPG

Grabbed this old dog crate that's been sitting around full of junk and modified it to a nesting box inside their coop. Put a goose, a turkey and a decoy chicken egg in there to help them figure it out. They were laying in the blocked off cubby beside it but it was hard for me to get the eggs out, so I put it next to there so hopefully I can get the geese and the turkeys to use it instead since I can open the lid. The other spot they're laying at is fine, but some were using the annoying hard to reach spot.

20210414_115459.jpg 20210414_115516.jpg

Grabbed this old dog crate that's been sitting around full of junk and modified it to a nesting box inside their coop. Put a goose, a turkey and a decoy chicken egg in there to help them figure it out. They were laying in the blocked off cubby beside it but it was hard for me to get the eggs out, so I put it next to there so hopefully I can get the geese and the turkeys to use it instead since I can open the lid. The other spot they're laying at is fine, but some were using the annoying hard to reach spot.

View attachment 2616795View attachment 2616796

I may copy your idea! I have one of those just sitting around doing nothing and my ladies are just dropping eggs in random places. Speaking of which, I saw some tiny veining in the eggs I set last week :) Either Romeo finally got his groove back or Phil has been getting the job done :) Bug eyed babies in about 3 more weeks!!

I may copy your idea! I have one of those just sitting around doing nothing and my ladies are just dropping eggs in random places. Speaking of which, I saw some tiny veining in the eggs I set last week :) Either Romeo finally got his groove back or Phil has been getting the job done :) Bug eyed babies in about 3 more weeks!!
For sure! I got the idea mostly from goose people, I see people use them a LOT for goose nests so I figured I'd give it a shot! I'll let everyone know if they finally all assimilate in there lol.

I think only 2 of my hens have been laying, maybe 3? out of 5. One of my lilacs, my royal palm and MAYBE my red bronze. I've seen my tom breed all the hens once though. I'm honestly tempted to keep some eggs to put under a broody chicken from my lilac because I just remembered they come out as a Blue Red Bronze, which is by far one of my top favorite turkey hen colors and I'd LOVE to have a pretty blue red bronze hen and even my hens out to 6 instead of 5...
1618451370107.png

Pic from Porter's, of course! But man is she gorgeous! I think I hatched one last year that I ended up giving away to a family friend because I didn't want to raise anymore turkeys that year, and boy if she turned out to be a blue red bronze I might be a LITTLE mad, lol. I'll have to go look at her sometime this year.

Decided to sell some hatching Turkey eggs at the poultry swap tomorrow. Only have 5, maybe 6 by tomorrow morning unfortunately. Seems like only 2 out of my 5 hens are actually laying, lazy bums. I went a little overboard and wrote a little document with all the color possibilities and notes about the parents and their diets and all that people can read if they want. I know it's not necessary, but it was fun! A lot of people know me there as the girl who brought a big pet tom once or who brought a turkey hen on a harness and leash, lol, so I'm hoping it might help garner interest.

The new dog nesting box is working great so far, been collecting like 2 turkey and 2 goose eggs out of it every day. Hoping I find some more soon.

Decided to sell some hatching Turkey eggs at the poultry swap tomorrow. Only have 5, maybe 6 by tomorrow morning unfortunately. Seems like only 2 out of my 5 hens are actually laying, lazy bums. I went a little overboard and wrote a little document with all the color possibilities and notes about the parents and their diets and all that people can read if they want. I know it's not necessary, but it was fun! A lot of people know me there as the girl who brought a big pet tom once or who brought a turkey hen on a harness and leash, lol, so I'm hoping it might help garner interest.

The new dog nesting box is working great so far, been collecting like 2 turkey and 2 goose eggs out of it every day. Hoping I find some more soon.
How much are you selling eggs for?
Someone near me is selling eggs $60 a DZ

How much are you selling eggs for?
Someone near me is selling eggs $60 a DZ
I was looking to get about $5 an egg, looking on local craigslists that seems to be about the general consensus of what people are asking for turkey hatching eggs. I've seen eggs go for pretty high amounts on ebay but figured it probably wasn't my best bet for starting out locally haha

Back
Top Bottom